Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,854   Online: 764

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Bessa II filters

Does anyone know where I can find the 37mm slip-on filters for my Bessa II folder. I'm particularly looking for the orange but would be interested in any or all of them. Thanks, Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it an A37mm you're looking for? With the lens's outside diameter measuring roughly 37mm? Or is it an S37mm that you want to adapt for slip-on filters?

Not sure if that question makes sense. Me no good with words.

For what it's worth, I have 37mm (S37) filters, which measure just over 39mm for slip on. A 35.5mm (S35.5) may have the right dimensions for you, and they are readily available.

Camera-filters.com is also a good resource. They have some obscure sizes.

Also, SK Grimes can manufacture whatever you need if you send them measurements. I haven't used them yet but they have an excellent reputation.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yes outside diameter of the lens is 37mm. Robert

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I had a Bessa II, I found a couple of filters made by the Polish optical firm, Polskie Zakłady Optyczne (PZO) that fit properly and were of reasonable quality for the era in which they were produced. I don't know what camera they were intended for, but it may be worth looking for some East European cameras of the era with the same filter size that could come with a set of filters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b1.jpg  
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My point was that it's possible to find a screw mount filter with enough setback to turn it around and use it as a slip on. You just need calipers to measure the size. Bits of masking tape work well for minor adjustments.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Does this lens have filter threads? If so it probably takes screw-on 35.5mm filters which would be easier to find than a 37mm slip-on filter.

However an alternative would be series VI. You can get a slip-on adapter then use series VI filters which are as common as houseflies.. You should be able to find them on eBay..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A difficult subject because '37mm' doesn't necessarily mean you want a 37mm filter. I have a couple of Agfa Record III with different lenses but both are 37mm outside diameter, and neither take an exact 37mm filter, there needs to be some wriggle room. So I use Kodak Series 6 filters using a 38mm/1.5" adapter ring, and this is snug secure fit with the tangs of the adapter bent very slightly. The advantage of the Series 6 filters is that there are a lot about on Ebay, and they are a good quality. I don't know if you can get a Kodak Series 6 37mm adapter, but you may find a 38mm is OK as I do.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you decide to go the Series filter route - i.e., attach a ~37mm series VI push-on adapter and then use interchangeable Series VI drop-in filters - eBay is your best bet. For example, I have purchased from seller macintoshcat who offers a variety of sizes inexpensively and currently has a Kodak branded 36.5mm push-on adapter available (scroll down in this listing until you come to Series 6 push-on). You should know that the tangs on these can be bent slightly in our out a small amount to accommodate a specific size, and I am pretty confident that the 36.5mm size would fit your lens just fine. One non-eBay vendor that typically has these in stock is songofsnow.com), but they tend to ask considerably higher prices.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. I was able to find a 36.5 series vi push-on adapter. I'll keep looking for an original but they seem to be rare. Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bessa filters do show up occasionally in useable condition, but it took a few years to find original Voitländer Bessa II uv, orange & green filters for the wife's pampered & accessorized version II Heliar.

you could establish a daily search in both north america & Europe on the big aution website for Voitlander (or Voitländer) 37 mm filter + orange which is same in English & German - eventually you will be lucky.

50/60's B+W push on 37mm glass filters seem to be a similar quality to Voitländer but the mounts are not as good but they seem to be slightly more prevalent

best/good luck
    alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin