Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,275   Posts: 1,681,007   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I used Summitar , Elmar , Summicron and they are all different animals. You must conduct a good research before buying a Leitz lens. Find manufacturing date annals and magazines and compare everything with everything. May be large format Ektar or Wollensak or a Zeiss on Hasselblad is better for you. Leica lenses are for people who have idea on them or you end up saying nikon is better next month.
    Leica lenses are for people who have M mount / LTM cameras. In some cases Nikkor lenses ARE equal or better (show me a Leica lens longer than 135mm that can be used on an M mount camera with accurate framing and focusing and I'll eat my shoe)

You should be able to find a collapsible summicron for not too much money...be wary of the coatings and haze though...I guess that applies to all older Leitz lenses. Alternatively, a good collapsible LTM lens on an M adapter could be just as viable a solution...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    Leica lenses are for people who have M mount / LTM cameras. In some cases Nikkor lenses ARE equal or better (show me a Leica lens longer than 135mm that can be used on an M mount camera with accurate framing and focusing and I'll eat my shoe)
    Chris, Chris, Chris,

What size shoe and do you want pickles with that??

Technically they don't go directly on the body.
    But remember the Visoflex lenses? From 65 all the way to 560mm and do give accurate focus and framing.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Are you trying to get a crappy lens for a specific look?

If so, you might look at a Soviet LTM lens with an M adapter. Don't pay too much, and you can use a Scotch Brite pad to scratch the hell out of the front element.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Chris, Chris, Chris,

What size shoe and do you want pickles with that??

Technically they don't go directly on the body.
    But remember the Visoflex lenses? From 65 all the way to 560mm and do give accurate focus and framing.
    John, I knew -someone- would bring up the Viso...

My 50 DR's lens unit is removable for use with the Viso I believe, but I have zero desire to acquire one of those things.

And, yeah, if you just want a knock-about 50 collapsible, it's hard to beat a collapsible Industar...you would be surprised at how good they can actually be, relatively.

...oh and medium rare, please.

--

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    LTM 50/3.5 Elmars used A36 slip-ons and the later version E39 filters.
    With the A36 to adjust the aperture you must remove the filter or find the adapter that uses
    an external lever that engages the aperture ring.
    E39's have an aperture ring just behind the front group and accessible.
    There is a second type of setting ring that lives inside the hood or filter next to lens to adjust aperture back off clamp screw and rotate filter or hood then tighten screw.
    Invention of devil and the rings are collectible...
    If you want photos the modern post 94 Elmar is comparable with late post 79 cron.
    it us well compact collapsed with hood in place.
    But a LTM Cosina /2.5 is only 1.5mm larger with hood.
    And you don't need to extend or collapse.
    Both have good ergonomics you won't tell the pics apart on 10x8s...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Are you trying to get a crappy lens for a specific look?
    No. I'm not trying to get a crappy lens. I don't think. I like my Tessar on my Rollei 35 and so a single coated Elmar seemed logical. I do like my DR cron too but I didn't like the Hexanon on my Hexar AF because it was too contrasty.

Well all of the lenses that I like are single coated and none of them are flare fighters and so I figured that I would look for a lens of similar characteristics.

Shooter
    Large Format

another alternative

I'm assuming, you are choosing one of the elmars because of their size and portability. In lieu of that, you should know you have a few other options.

If you search on that big auction site that shant be named, there are many lenses made by a lens creator called Miyazaki. He created a series of VERY small lenses. Japancamerahunter featured his lenses a few times. and I think there are a few distributors out there who are selling them.

If you are looking for portablility, these lenses "M.S. Optical" will blow any elmar or elmarit or summarit out of the water in terms of portability and cost. If you are looking for sample images, quite a few can be found on flickr.

i.e.
    http://www.japancamerahunter.com/201...0mm-f3-5-lens/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had thought about mentioning the MS optical lenses...but they can be a bit difficult to hunt down...

Though it is difficult to make an M much more portable than with a MS Optical Perar...

--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    John, I knew -someone- would bring up the Viso...

My 50 DR's lens unit is removable for use with the Viso I believe, but I have zero desire to acquire one of those things.

And, yeah, if you just want a knock-about 50 collapsible, it's hard to beat a collapsible Industar...you would be surprised at how good they can actually be, relatively.

...oh and medium rare, please.

:o) Medium rare it is.
    I always forget about the Perar's but they sure are tiny little suckers.
    Biggest problem with Visos besides bulk is finding the adapters for different lenses.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One of the clean Summars will run rings around nearly any lens made, as long as it's at f4 or more. I actually have close up shots at f2 that were just fine. This lens gets a bad rap because many are in bad shape, but if you can find a clean one (not that hard) or get one CLA'd, they are astoundingly good, AND setting the aperture w/ a filter and hood on is easily done. Has it's own character too that screams "vintage Leica". W/ a decent hood they do not flare unless you shoot right into the sun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin