Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,615   Online: 692

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You could try a Canon L-1 or P, but IIRC these are a bit heavier than a III.

Re: the Leica and Canon LTM cameras: AFAIK only the Leica have a diopter adjustment. I have yet to identify a Canon LTM camera that permitted you to adjust for your own eyesight. I'd have more early Canons if they had this sort of adjustment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewael View Post
    Are you Leica LTM users (IIIf/IIIc/etc.) comfortable using your Leica's without an auxillary viewfinder?

I love my M3 and my DR Cron but this combination isn't really THAT compact and so I'm debating on trying a IIIf/IIIc with a collapsible Summicron (or Summitar) or maybe just getting a collapsible and sticking it on my M. My concern with the IIIf/IIIc is that the viewfinder is too poor and sticking an auxiliary viewfinder will be self defeating.

I'm not interested in much anything else.
    -IIIg's seem to be bulkier and more expensive than IIIc/IIIf's...I might as well stay with an M
    -CL's and most things more modern (e.g. Bessa) seem to not be as durable.
    -I don't like most P&S's because I want to be able to focus and I prefer all-mechanical bodies anyways.

I have a Rollei 35 and a Kodak Retina but I can't focus accurately enough with the former and the later isn't that ergonomic.
    Hi there,
    Leica equipment is always expensive
    But always XXL quality
    My IIIg is exactly same measures and weight as my IIb, but the IIIg finder is far better!
    My M3 is bulkier than the IIIg.
    I have a collapsible Elmar f2.8 5cm on the IIIg a lens that is slightly softer than Summicron but still a remarkable lens. Together, body and lens are of the size I can carry in a pocket.
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you Leica LTM users (IIIf/IIIc/etc.) comfortable using your Leica's without an auxillary viewfinder?
    Yes, very much. I have used a II, IIIc and IIIf for a few years now, and have no parallax or framing issues.

I can recommend the SBOOI - the Leitz 50mm external finder - it's nice and bright, and 1:1 so you can use it with both eyes open all day long.

I have a Rollei 35 and a Kodak Retina but I can't focus accurately enough with the former and the later isn't that ergonomic.
    If it makes you feel any better, I've found the Rollei 35 frame lines not all that accurate. At least not for the original version (no idea about later models.) I have a Retina Ia and the viewfinder leaves much to be desired. Fortunately it has an accessory shoe, so if you have a 50mm finder you can just slip it in and use that instead.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm

I love my M3 and my DR Cron but this combination isn't really THAT compact and so I'm debating on trying a IIIf/IIIc with a collapsible Summicron (or Summitar) or maybe just getting a collapsible and sticking it on my M. My concern with the IIIf/IIIc is that the viewfinder is too poor and sticking an auxiliary viewfinder will be self defeating.

I'm not interested in much anything else.
    -IIIg's seem to be bulkier and more expensive than IIIc/IIIf's...I might as well stay with an M
    -CL's and most things more modern (e.g. Bessa) seem to not be as durable.
    -I don't like most P&S's because I want to be able to focus and I prefer all-mechanical bodies anyways.

The IIIg is still pretty compact and has a very good finder. It is an exceptionally well made camera - almost a mechanical work of art - as much so as earliest M bodies.

The Bessa's are all very well made, reliable, and durable enough for most people. The Bessa R is fairly compact and it is light - the L and T of course more so. They are lighter and more compact than Leica M's. Not sure if they accept all collapsible lenses. The Bessa bodies (with finders) have about the best finders I've seen - they best early Leica M models.

I don't have too much CL experience, but they seem OK - not that small or light - many need servicing.

The Leica IIIc_IIIf series are decent cameras, with a so-so, but usable 50mm viewfinder.

The other Leica III series have usable finders and only for 50mm frame lines. Their finders are pretty poor by modern standards and there are other bottom loaders with better finders. The Leica external 5cm finder is small, and a real work of art - fantastic on a Leica III series.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a Leica III, M4-2 and M7. The Leica III has a collapsable 50 mm lens.
    I always use the viewfinder without problems.
    Only when I use my 15mm lens, I use an external viewfinder that came with the lens.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The viewfinders are definitely teeny tiny w/ those peep holes, but if they're clean they work fine. Don't dismiss the Bessa R cameras. I love the craftsmanship of the old Leicas, but for going out and getting the job done the Bessas are excellent tools. Bright viewfinders and a nice RF patch all combined, light weight, and the top shutter speed of 1/2000 can come in real handy w/ Tri-X. Some have shutters that go "clack", others are quieter. A half case will dampen it down just fine. If I were to go back to a rangefinder it would be to a Bessa R. Great meters too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin