Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,578   Online: 918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

50/1.4 pre-asph Summilux...sharp lens?

Is the 50/1.4 pre-asph Summilux sharp wide-open? I'm interested in type 2.

I have a DR cron but I sometimes need that extra stop of light. I know there are plenty of alternatives but I'm specifically interested in this lens. If it is half-decent wide-open then I'm not interested.

I always felt that f1.4 Leica lenses needed to be aspherical to be good....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes it is.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    OK

It is just that some people are very picky with Leica lenses and value a lens as junk if the successor is a tiny bit sharper. I'm not THAT picky, but some of my old speedsters left more to be desired at wide apertures, like my canon 35mm f1.8 LTM...but that lens is known to be soft.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most people own much better lenses than they are photographers.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    True.

It is just that I mostly stick with slower lenses because from the internet and my experience, faster lenses are more difficult to design and not always great at wide apertures. For 50mm, I feel that f2 is the sweet spot and difficult to screw up. f1.4 seems to be a hit or miss aperture, and anything faster seems to be dodgy, atleast the early incarnations.

I just wanted to here what the members on apug had to say because the members here are generally more reasonable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As with every fast lens make sure the RF system of your camera is precise enough to be able to cope with the shallow DoF. Sometimes adjustments are needed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Personally, I prefer the Nokton 50/1.5, but my old Summilux is not bad. You had better get the focus bang-on when shooting wide open, otherwise it is not going to give you sharp results.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have one, and wouldn't trade it for the ASPH by choice. It's sharp, not as clinically sharp as the newer ASPH design but it has that signature Leica glow in spades. It's a more natural lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although purely subjective opinion I tried the Summilux you mention, didn't like it so much and actually kept my DR instead, felt the DR had much more of the signature and personality I strive for, especially for black-and-white work, that I happened to prefer. The Summilux was a great lens don't get me wrong however for the cost I just didn't want to keep it because I was very very happy with my DR. The great thing is you can try the Summilux and easily sell it for what you paid for it so if you want to give it a try I would recommend you do.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin