Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,747   Online: 974

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

I own one rangefinder ...

... and there's no limit to the number of frames one can take with the lens cap on!

2nd from right. Fuji 645. Also notice that the films on either side of #2 have no missing frames ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails film.jpg  
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the Fuji have TTL Metering? That tends to get rid of most of my lenscap shots, but even that is still not infallible.
    Taking a shot indoors on Sunday, Bessa R3A and Nokton 40/1.4 wide open, TMax 400 and meter set to 800. It was dark indoors and the exposure-indicator was blinking '1' (meaning underexposure), but I clicked anyway. Only afterwards I thought "even that's too long" (I'd just been taking MF shots with Delta@3200 f/2.8 1/30s in a slightly better-lit room), so I checked and the lenscap was on...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is why my lens caps always stay at home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, the lenscap shot. No matter how much I practice it, I always seem to need more.

Since I switched from my meterless Ms to the Zeiss Ikon, I have had a lot less lenscap shots because of the blinking display. Like Dr Croubie - still not infallible.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Since I always shoot with a hood I've never photographed the inside of a lens cap.. Lens caps don't make good subjects..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I toss the lens cap in my pocket and keep it there until I put my camera away. No lens cap shots this way, plus I dont loose them when the lens gets bumped. I hate having to chase after a dropped cap.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I rarely take a lens cap shot, but used to frequently take exquisite photos of my darkslide in a medium format back. I attached some red ribbon to the slide and now I never forget to remove it. Perhaps attaching something colourful to your lens cap is a way to remind you to remove it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by leicarfcam View Post
    Since I always shoot with a hood I've never photographed the inside of a lens cap.
    ^ this is key for me. The stock lens cap and hood for my GA645 can never be on at the same time, so by always using the hood, I ensure that I never see the inside of a lens cap.

I have some lens caps that would allow me to use the hood and cap at the same time, which would save a bit of fiddling, but I've never made the switch as I know I'd start getting blank frames.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leicarfcam View Post
    Since I always shoot with a hood I've never photographed the inside of a lens cap.
    Quite ironically, I think that's why I forgot to take the cap off, because I had the hood on and didn't see the cap...

(or I could just blame it being a new lens, haven't gotten used to it yet, was my first real outing with it last weekend)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Switching to SLRs fixed that little problem for me, which in a way was too bad, as I had invented a DIY fix that prevented lens cap "shots". I simply glued a little plastic tab on my lens cap and painted it red, and always oriented the cap so that it was in direct line of sight in the viewfinder. It was impossible to ignore.

I'm quite envious of your darkroom. It looks much neater than my negs hanging by Dollar Store bag clips, tied to a coat hanger w/ knitting yarn, weighted down w/ a clip tied to a large nut, then hung on the bathroom shower curtain rod along w/ the wife's drying stockings. But it works.
    Last edited by momus; 10-02-2013 at 08:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin