Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,926   Posts: 1,556,806   Online: 934

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    only Mr N Sweeny will have engineering details

If you have a scrap Kiev you could make a contax to LTM adapter easier than a heliciod/rangefinder cam.

Only the very late Kievs came with a Helious but they are so homely there is little demand.

They do perform well compared with a good J8.

The Helious seems to be a type IV summicron clone i.e. a simplified for production double Gauss
    I mentioned that above in post #3, I'm starting to think it might be the better route.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes I detected you were aware.

Lots of parts Kievs are complete apart from the mount so someone is doing it: buying one is/would be simpler than machining.

For a while Helious were available NOS really cheap. Probably all gone now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I detected you were aware.

Lots of parts Kievs are complete apart from the mount so someone is doing it: buying one is/would be simpler than machining.

For a while Helious were available NOS really cheap. Probably all gone now.
    There are still H-103s out there for reasonable prices, quite a bit less that J-8s in equal condition anyway. I think Fedka wants about 40 USD for one.
    The Kiev mount conversion would still entail a fair bit of machining to connect it to an LTM body; I can cut 26 TPI threads, but do not have facilities to cut metric threads. I couldn't make some dremel and epoxy kluge anyway, I'd wince every time I saw it and besides my friends would probably euthanise me if I did.
    The Contax/LTM adapter would let me play with other lenses, too.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 10-24-2013 at 08:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Thanks, I saw that. I'm sure my German genes would turn against me if I butchered one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Leitz-...item3a859b29e2 to mount a Soviet lens on a Japanese camera!!

I have a Sonnar (J-8) and while I really like the Sonnar look, I was thinking a cheap and good double Gauss might be nice to have as well. The Helios and Industar ( to cannibalise) are cheap enough, but will it work??. Another uption is to buy a scrap Kiev for the focussing mount and make an adapter. I think there is enough metal in the mount of a J8 to bore it out to fit the Helios' optics capsule, but I've yet to find dimensioned drawings of the lenses. The adapter might be the best bet, just build one, once. I might even get lucky and find a scrap Kiev with a good Helios on it!
    Nope. Not in a mid-70s J-8 anyway. So it's a junker Kiev for the mount and machining an adapter; not at all a bad idea as I now have two Kievs which work like a charm but could conceivably need spares in a few decades.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Holy Cow Batman

Thread resurrection!

Robin

PS how much are the FSU 'people' selling the Kiev based adapters for?

Anomouse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Holy Cow Batman

Thread resurrection!

Robin

PS how much are the FSU 'people' selling the Kiev based adapters for?

Anomouse
    Too much. I can make one for the cost of a junk Kiev(four for 16 USD at last check, plus shipping of course) and a few hours of fun.
    I took a chance on a '69 K4 with an '81 Helios, 80 USD shipped. The body is very clean, the meter works accurately, the Helios was hazed (of course);
    I took the top casting, filmplane casting, and front trim off - a bit of diagnostic lubrication and I have a very well functioning camera. Ribbons look like new.
    I'm tempted to keep buying these things, just so I get a bad one and know that not everyone is full of @rap.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

A 69 should still be a nice camera an 82 will be a bit rougher.

The problem cameras are those that have been subject to 'maintenance' or Russian winter condensation.

A 49-55 just same as ContaxII but with different chrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi

A 69 should still be a nice camera an 82 will be a bit rougher.

The problem cameras are those that have been subject to 'maintenance' or Russian winter condensation.

A 49-55 just same as ContaxII but with different chrome.
    I have a chance at a nice looking '53 Kiev III/J-8 for what seems a fair price. But what I really should get is a J-9, because I want a good working RF outfit of 35-50-85 and two bodies. As for the '69 being a nice camera, it's more than nice - and I've had ur-Contaxen. What would a good Kiev go for if it said anything other than "Made in USSR" on the shoe?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin