Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,112   Online: 843

Thread: FED 5C

Shooter
    35mm

FED 5C

OK, got the camera, cain't see getting much use out of it, was hoping for a small camera with interchaneable lenses, it's almost 11/2 times the size of my other rangefinders, it's bigger than my FG, it's actually slightlly bigger than my FM2N
    It's in pretty good shape. my question is the meter. The manual says I have to convert t5he GOST settings, the dial on the camera says GOST/ISO, I thiught they were different, if they are the same the meter is reading way low, and what is that little follower that pokes out of the top of the lens opening when you take the lens off?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    The 5 is the biggest RF that they made...if you were looking for smaller, you could easily find it in the Kiev/Zorki line-up but it would lack the meter. The 3b (flat top) has a swing film door and is smaller than the 5.

That follower is the cam for the rangefinder mechanism. The lens presses that to relay the focus distance info.

Link for more GOST/ISO info: http://www.kataan.org/gost-to-iso-conversion-chart According to KievUSA.com, the older cameras have the old style GOST ratings, they were updated at some point to match ISO.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Fed 1 and Zorki 1 are near clones of Leica II and diminutive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the link, they're nopt far off so I guess the meter is junk

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Development of both the Fed and Zorki Soviet rangefinders involved increasing bulk and weight with each successive model as features were added.All models are capable of producing decent results, but most users prefer the original Leica II copies due to their small size and weight. There were a couple of sweet spots amongst the Fed/Zorki series, the Fed-2 and the Zorki-6, where the extra features offer some compensation.
    Only the later Feds have meters and since they are the selenium type many will have deteriorated in the 20+ years since they were made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ISO is 0.9 times old GOST, and equal to new GOST, so the difference is not too significant.

The Fed 2 is a much smaller body but it has a less convenient viewfinder.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin