Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,518   Posts: 1,645,554   Online: 1054

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    It is not quite right to say that ASA was arithmetic and DIN was logarithmic (although that is correct) as the DIN system used (uses) a very different emulsion characteristic to measure film speed than the ASA system did. A large ASA difference in film speed between two films would not necessarily mean a large DIN difference. The DIN system (or degree part of ISO) measures a fixed density above the fog level while the ASA system ( and first part of ISO) is based on the gradient of the log exposure/density curve. It is at least theoretically possible for one film to be faster than another according to DIN and slower according to ASA.
    It is my understanding that when the ISO standard was put in place, the ASA and DIN procedures for determining sensitivity were replaced with a single, ISO procedure.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    load the film, crank off two blank frames while making sure the rewind knob is rotating backwards, THEN turn the film counter until it is pointing at one. TAke pictures, rewind film.
    +1

A question just flickered across my frontal cortex: it seems odd that DIN should be a base 3 logarithm... is it associated with the dB concept that 3dB is the difference in amplitude that is detectible by the human ear..( I dunno, not a physicist)

David

Are you a robot?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always set the exposure counter to 38 and then wind on from there, but since most manual exposure counters go 0 to 40, that's the same thing as winding on two frames and setting it to zero I suppose.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I usually set it at 0 after winding and firing the two frames. Why not set it to 1? I guess because I feel as though I'm getting a "bonus" frame. Stupid, I know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    Yeah, I usually set it at 0 after winding and firing the two frames. Why not set it to 1? I guess because I feel as though I'm getting a "bonus" frame. Stupid, I know.
    Me too.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    It is my understanding that when the ISO standard was put in place, the ASA and DIN procedures for determining sensitivity were replaced with a single, ISO procedure.
    That is my understanding for the current ISO system - using the fixed density above fog method of the old DIN. My comments were regarding the DIN and ASA standards, not ISO.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    +1

A question just flickered across my frontal cortex: it seems odd that DIN should be a base 3 logarithm... is it associated with the dB concept that 3dB is the difference in amplitude that is detectible by the human ear..( I dunno, not a physicist)

David

Are you a robot?
    Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a robot

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    The manual seems to say close baseplate fire two blank frames then set counter to zero?
    Correct, but what he said will work.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Correct, but what he said will work.
    mayhap but the manual says fire three blank frames is it ok to only fire two, have I misread the manual or the other post cause they seem different?

note the strange question mark in both my posts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    mayhap but the manual says fire three blank frames is it ok to only fire two, have I misread the manual or the other post cause they seem different?

note the strange question mark in both my posts.
    Depends on how much of the film has been exposed to light. I get away with two, in all my 35s.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin