Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,886   Online: 1038

Shooter
    Medium Format

Leica M2 horizontal calibration

Thanks for the help with my previous thread about where to start the film, but it seems I've got another (and a bit more complicated) problem.
    It appears my infinity focus adjustment is off, and did what homework I could. I know I have to adjust the screw on the rangefinder roller arm, and shaved down and bent a screwdriver for the purpose. I know I'm not supposed to press down (upwards) on the arm, and I was even a bit naughty and applied a bit more force than some might approve of

I've had no luck in getting the thing to turn, but that being said, is there a known direction to turn it in? My error is such that the ghosted image (the one you move by turning the lens) never reaches the infinity overlap, which I believe would be backfocusing?

Again, thanks in advance for the wealth of knowledge you guys provide!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i tried the same thing on an m3 and came to the conclusion that the rangefinder on a leica is not really meant to be user-serviceable. Perhaps someone here knows better -- but especially that adjustment inside the body of the camera I think you will find requires special tools. Access seems to be through the front, but if you look on the base of the opening you see a round plate that covers an access hole through the bottom of the camera, and it is through there that the proper tool should reach.

Meaning you gotta start taking stuff off the bottom of the camera. May be easy, may be hard. I would rather have someone who knows do the work. DAG, for instance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    look here: Thomas Tomosy, Leica Camera Repair Handbook, Amherst Media Inc.
    There you can find how to calibrate the RF and much more. Some screws behind caps are accesible from the bottom with a long screwdriver and one from the front hidden behind a screw.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just adjusted my M2 in this fashion earlier this week. If you have a screwdriver that fits the slot in the roller, and is angled properly so that it seats squarely in the slot, you should be able to adjust it. If the second image (the moving image) does not get all the way to infinity, then if memory serves (it was only a couple of days ago) you need to turn the screw counterclockwise. It's a little tricky, because the arm on which the roller sits wants to move toward the film plane -- but apply careful pressure while turning and you should be OK.

Charlie (summicron1) is right that Leica does provide a way to come straight upward at the roller if you remove the bottom plate inside the camera (the one with the diagram of how to load the film in the takeup spool) and another cap that you can see inside the lens throat. But again, if you believe your bent screwdriver will work, that's all you need. (My tool of choice -- a small spreader (like for dips and soft cheese) with a thin, rounded blade. Fits the slot perfectly and works well at an angle.)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The pivot point of the arm and the pivot point of the roller follower are both variable being on eccentrics.

If infinity is some way out you need to adjust both variables to minimise errors at 1m 10m & infinity. Id not bother with infinity myself my shots at 2 to 3m are always blurred.

You should support the arm when adjusting the rollers pivot point e.g. parallel closing smooth faced pliers.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin