Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,270   Online: 959

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The rangefinderforum.com site has a very active classifieds section and I feel you could find a very trustworthy great leica there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a one day trip to Hamburg and visit:

http://www.meister-camera.com/hamburg/

I got M6 from this shop couple of years ago - no problem for at all.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Finder issues are expensive to repair. Make sure the finder and rangefinder patch are in good condition.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You may care to look at some of these -

http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_en/...?category=3562

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Or, you could get an old lady from church to donate some "old camera stuff" to you, and end up with a free M3...
    You'll have to spend some dollars in a CLA, but hey, It'll outlast me!
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erik,
    unless the seller explicitely states that the camera has recently been through a general CLA (clean, lubricate, adjust) you almost certainly have to have it done yourself. There are several excellent Leica repair shops in Europe, they will set you back some hundred(s) euros but then you'll have a camera working for you the rest of your time! I bought an M3 in not too brilliant condition, had it serviced and although it doesn't have the looks of a museum piece, it's works a wonder and is just soooooo pleasant to handle. I think 600$ for an M2 is about right and the choice between M2 and M4, hmm.... I would select the cheaper one!
    good luck
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by phelger View Post
    Erik,
    unless the seller explicitely states that the camera has recently been through a general CLA (clean, lubricate, adjust) you almost certainly have to have it done yourself. There are several excellent Leica repair shops in Europe, they will set you back some hundred(s) euros but then you'll have a camera working for you the rest of your time! I bought an M3 in not too brilliant condition, had it serviced and although it doesn't have the looks of a museum piece, it's works a wonder and is just soooooo pleasant to handle. I think 600$ for an M2 is about right and the choice between M2 and M4, hmm.... I would select the cheaper one!
    good luck
    Peter
    And to this I would add "and has the paperwork to prove it". Seems like half the leicas on feepay have just been serviced.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi and thanks for your excellent tips. I now handled the M4-P as well, but I was put off by the bad contrast of the rangefinder. Even my fed3 is better in that respect. Search continues.

After searching the web I found that Bessa r3 has a 1.1 viewfinder, which Leica never made. There is one for sale outside of Stockholm. Just another possibility...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    Hi and thanks for your excellent tips. I now handled the M4-P as well, but I was put off by the bad contrast of the rangefinder. Even my fed3 is better in that respect. Search continues.

After searching the web I found that Bessa r3 has a 1.1 viewfinder, which Leica never made. There is one for sale outside of Stockholm. Just another possibility...
    There are people who swear by their R3 bodies and I actually owned an R3A for a while, the 1-1 finder is a very nice feature but I got to admit after handling Leica M bodies I would never ever be happy with a VC range finder, just a total difference in smoothness, quietness, handling and feel, but that's just me.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For what it's worth, I think the M2 was the best of the M series.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin