Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,289   Online: 1112

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    q_x
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    I'm glad to be of some use, Lamar!

I'll try to remember to post results in this thread with an original Russian reloadable canister in a month or two. It's dimensions differ indeed, but IIRC it's 1.3mm taller, not smaller... Now it's in a camera, hope it won't jam, as it often happens in bottom-loaded Zorkis. I hope to shoot it all tomorrow (good weather, so I'm heading out for whole day), but to develop it, it's whole different mess. Lot's of hoping, but it's hardly any plan.

Also on the very same roll, there's a test of the I-61 L/D after removing the fungus, so I guess I'll see how much better it'll work, if at all.

How's your framing on the second roll?
    Use the Force, Luke!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
    I just developed my film from the 3C after pulling the washers. It's much better now, no more angle and its better aligned, barely touching the holes now, if at all. That washer trick made the difference. Thanks for the tips again q_z, and E. von!!
    Hey Lamar, you know if you get a collapsible Industar, you'll be able to put that 3c in a jacket's breast pocket.Then to balance things you put the Weston and a couple rolls of film in the other pocket... Just sayin...

Shooter
    35mm
    Good luck on your shooting tomorrow, sounds like it will be a good day. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the reloadable canister. My framing is better if I pay attention and don't shoot too fast. Sometimes I think I have framed good but if I move my eye around a bit I see I haven't properly framed. I have to take a more systematic framing approach with these cameras and make myself find the edges of the frame. I'm so used to SLR's, this is different.

Here is a full size 4000 dpi un-modified scan from the Zorki-3C/Jupiter-8 using VueScan. No sharpening, Light Grain Reduction, Light IR Clean. You can see the frame offset is much better now. Film = Fuji Superia X-tra 400 developed in Tetenal Press Kit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131215-01 Superia 400 Zorki-3C 03 4000dpi no crop.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	633.3 KB 
ID:	78574

Quote Originally Posted by q_x View Post
    I'm glad to be of some use, Lamar!

I'll try to remember to post results in this thread with an original Russian reloadable canister in a month or two. It's dimensions differ indeed, but IIRC it's 1.3mm taller, not smaller... Now it's in a camera, hope it won't jam, as it often happens in bottom-loaded Zorkis. I hope to shoot it all tomorrow (good weather, so I'm heading out for whole day), but to develop it, it's whole different mess. Lot's of hoping, but it's hardly any plan.

Also on the very same roll, there's a test of the I-61 L/D after removing the fungus, so I guess I'll see how much better it'll work, if at all.

How's your framing on the second roll?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, I've noticed those. Mainly attached to older bodies but some for sale by themselves. Are they any good optically? I'm pretty impressed so far with the Jupiter 8.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Hey Lamar, you know if you get a collapsible Industar, you'll be able to put that 3c in a jacket's breast pocket.Then to balance things you put the Weston and a couple rolls of film in the other pocket... Just sayin...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed those. Mainly attached to older bodies but some for sale by themselves. Are they any good optically? I'm pretty impressed so far with the Jupiter 8.
    They're a Tessar, they are not a copy of the Leitz Elmar (except for the mount) as many claim. There were several versions, the latest being the I-50 which is also available as the I-50-2 in M42 mount - same optically. From what I can glean off the web, they can be very good There is also an F2.8 Tessar, two versions in rigid bbl, the I-26 and the I-61 which was also made with lanthanum glass as the I-61LD. Some say all I-61s have the rare earth glass, but either way the -61 is regarded as a good lens with high contrast. The I-50 appeals to me for the above reasons, I'm looking for one right now.
    You have two J-8s, correct? I haven't been able to use mine as much as I would like due to my one screwmount body needing new curtains, but the few frames I have looked at from the lens indicate it's a definite keeper, very sharp and good contast.

q_x
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    I'd say one won't buy a lens from 50-s or 60-s for sharp, contrasty results. Optically, well, just look at any resolution comparison or samples over the net. Not stunning, but some pieces are not bad either. Having I-22 and I-61 at hand, I was out today with my J8. Other two are a waste of time, inferior samples. I was hoping to quit SLRs entirely one day, but with what I have now it's still impossible.

There were also two periods in production, the change was somewhere around 1952 IIRC. Before that each lens/body pair was matched separately, later they've introduced 28.8mm standard. If you don't want to fiddle with spacers, keep that in mind. It mostly is the case of older Industars (11, 22) and FED lens.

I've found, that big, colorful lens cap helps, I use milk bottle cap. I was always taking it off with I-22. Not so with a black lens cap...
    Use the Force, Luke!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by q_x View Post
    I'd say one won't buy a lens from 50-s or 60-s for sharp, contrasty results. Optically, well, just look at any resolution comparison or samples over the net. Not stunning, but some pieces are not bad either. Having I-22 and I-61 at hand, I was out today with my J8. Other two are a waste of time, inferior samples. I was hoping to quit SLRs entirely one day, but with what I have now it's still impossible.

There were also two periods in production, the change was somewhere around 1952 IIRC. Before that each lens/body pair was matched separately, later they've introduced 28.8mm standard. If you don't want to fiddle with spacers, keep that in mind. It mostly is the case of older Industars (11, 22) and FED lens.

I've found, that big, colorful lens cap helps, I use milk bottle cap. I was always taking it off with I-22. Not so with a black lens cap...
    Is this an actual problem with the lenses, or is it a haze/cleaning issue? I've looked at scans of film (once again, internet...), center and corner crops that are quite good from the I-50 collapsibles.

q_x
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    I've already cleaned the fungus from I-61. I've done some test photos, but I want to make at least 5 rolls to process it all at one go. We have not much of a good light at this time of year, so it's going slowly.

I-22 looks dusty on the inside, and that's it, nothing more. I doubt if it's harmful amount of dust. Optically it's more or less what I'd expect from a cheap lens in Smena, doesn't really amazes me in any way, and the photos are a bit dull in terms of details. Certainly not stellar things I've seen Industars to be capable of. I have rigid industar 50 in a Zenit 3M, but it's a souvenir, not a camera to take photos with, so it stays enclosed.

J8 is considerably better optically, gives me greater flexibility, being soft wide open and getting sharper with every fstop. Also, 40.5mm filters are commonly available, unlike I-22 slip-on or screw in.

I thought I can show some photos - with I22 I've done quite some. A word of introduction is needed though. Polypan F is a film without AH layer, and I like the slightly magical thing it does sometimes. It has more sense with landscapes. My scanner doesn't really work and I can't wait to buy some paper and make prints. The scans just aren't serious. Also, this was my lo-fi, retro-ish time, hence the photos are simply filthy. There's every photo I've taken - 37 to fill a roll, and I'm being honest showing it all as they were. Finally, I'm a landscape guy, not doing much of any kind of journalism.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11049...CO_fh-PJ5MnOcg
    Use the Force, Luke!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    That's essentially what I did, except I used a disc of plastic cut from a yogurt container. Eventually, I would like to get a set of the correct reloadable casettes (anyone out ther know for certain if the Canon II series will accept Leica casettes? I get mixed info from the 'net) and bulk load B&W film. For commercial cannisters, I'll make a couple delrin or maybe brass/aluminum cups to snap onto the botton of the film spool.
    you probably need Canon cassettes for Canon LTMs mine will fit my Canon VI and P donno about your II no interchangeability with FILCA /IXMOO

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    you probably need Canon cassettes for Canon LTMs mine will fit my Canon VI and P donno about your II no interchangeability with FILCA /IXMOO
    Thanks. For now I'll presume that Canon maintained compatibility across the models, so far Canon cassettes are scarce and pricey - four cassettes will cost more than the camera!!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin