Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,887   Online: 1128

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You know, multicoated lenses are not magical. They need proper lens shades just like any other lens, multicoating does not make flare go away. The difference between an uncoated lens (of the design the Rokkor uses) and a coated one is huge; the uncoated lens will be almost unuseable under certain conditions - the difference between single coated and multicoated is comparatively minor. And I make this statement based on my experience in using uncoated, single coated, and multicoated lenses of various designs over about 30 years. I get stunning results from my 1960s Nikkors, none of which are multicoated. I also get stunning results from my 1900s > 1920s Dagors, none of which are coated.

Low light on overcast days? You'll hardly see the difference - except for a slightly different "look" that will be most noticeable with color film.
    The look is more pastel shading in the shadows less in middle tones, many people like that.
    There is a consequence adaptive compression of sceans very suitable for digital or narrow scale film...
    With a 'flashing' of shadows which makes the film faster in the shadows differentially.

I use two sets of LTM lenses a single coated set of Canon and Multi coated set of Cosina Voightlander with LTM to M adapters they are ok on M Leicas.

On a dull day I uses the MC lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Rokkor 40's are wonderful lenses, and very small too, which is a plus on your little bitty camera. They have that classic Leica look, at least mine did. I wouldn't worry about single vs multi coated. Doubtful you'd see much difference at all. Uncoated is nice for B&W. I have some really good stuff from clean Summars, but f2 performance is often a little soft, but still nice. I agree, w/ my eyes, a RF is easier to focus in low light. The thing w/ uncoated lenses is that if you put a yellow filter (nix for low light) and a hood on the lenses, you'll get better contrast and no flare issues unless you're shooting right into the sun or something. These are all old lenses, so internal glass condition will be more important for optical quality and flare resistance.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Interesting idea with the filter. I use b&w MC filters. Would this ecssentially make the single coated lens multi-coated?

Btw... I purchased the CLE and 40 rokkor. It's an older single-coated one. Got them together as a kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Interesting idea with the filter. I use b&w MC filters. Would this ecssentially make the single coated lens multi-coated?
    Btw... I purchased the CLE and 40 rokkor. It's an older single-coated one. Got them together as a kit.
    Absolutely not. Think about it. You screw a filter to the front of the lens; how will this affect the coatings on all the other surfaces of the lens' elements?

What multicoating on the filter will do is make it less "visible"; since the front surface of the lens is single coated, it will reflect some small (not much) amount of light (so will a multicoated front surface) - the multicoated filter will reflect very little of this back into the lens. I've learned that multicoated filters are almost mandatory on uncoated lenses, due to mcuh brighter reflections from the (uncoated) front element.

Momus was posting about using a yellow filter with B&W film on an uncoated lens to bring the contrast up, it is the hood he mentions which reduces flare, not the filter. The yellow filter works by cutting blue light; what color cast does haze have in color photos?

Just use your lens and stop reading the advertisements about how wonderful and magical multicoating is. A single coated lens with a proper shade is usually better than a multicoated lens without the shade, use them both with a shade and there's very little to choose from. In a zoom lens, with mabe 16 - 18 or more air glass interfaces, multicoting starts to have really important benefits.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 12-14-2013 at 01:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Brian, just use the lens that you are getting with the CLE knowing that it is a fine piece of glass. A lot of Leica enthusiasts compare lenses down to the minutiae which I find rather ridiculous. Almost any lens that you can buy today is far better than what people like HCB used and he did all right, didn't he? I could make a very compelling argument that the modern Leica (and Zeiss) lenses are too good.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks so much guys. Great information. The lens comes with a cap and hood from a CLE version rokkor.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post

You were lucky lots of M Leica people buy the kit for the lens and sell the body on.
    Id get it a hood and filter just in case you drop it or a sea gull targets you.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    You were lucky lots of M Leica people buy the kit for the lens and sell the body on.
    I actually had to sway him a bit to sell the lens. He wanted to keep it as he uses it on his M6 frequently, but ultimately decided the kit should be kept together.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I hope you have a lot of fun with this camera. I've always been intrigued by the small size of the CL/CLE cameras.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin