Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,558,006   Online: 1118

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In a new camera costing $2200, I would not tolerate any such issues at all.
    And even when you knowing when you buy a 20 dollar russian rangefinder , there is no problem like this , a japanese tourist trap , I pay 20 dollar for your camera and it is even insult to 20 dollar Zeiss Ikon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    And even when you knowing when you buy a 20 dollar russian rangefinder , there is no problem like this , a japanese tourist trap , I pay 20 dollar for your camera and it is even insult to 20 dollar Zeiss Ikon.
    You are extraordinarily talented at brutal sarcasm, Mustafa.

As to the RF issue, some vert alignment can occur even in brand new cameras out of the box, for whatever reason. I've seen it in new Leicas before, as well. As for why the adjustment isn't locked from the get go, I believe it's because of the parallax compensation...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    If you want to check the alignment both V and H, use a distant streetlight, the moon, or some other pointy light source with a dark background. I'm not familiar with your camera, but resetting the vertical alignment usually neccesitates resetting the horizontal alignment too. In a new camera costing $2200, I would not tolerate any such issues at all.
    In normal circumstances, I'd send it back too. But I bought this camera knowing full well that I have no warranty. Fujifilm states clearly, as did the person in the store: No warranty service outside of Japan.

I bought this camera for $600 cheaper than I could in China. That's the price of a slightly misaligned viewfinder.

I'll try your test next time I am out with the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because I am able to compartmentalize issues...

Try reading the first four posts in the following thread. Reference is made to an adjustment screw that sits higher than the others. If I recall correctly, that is the vertical alignment screw. Note that it's very easy to adjust either the vertical or horizontal alignment while throwing off the opposite alignment. A fair amount of delicate trial-and-error is required to get them both right at the same time.

I adjusted my standard GF670 to be correct in both axes at the beginning of last summer. With light normal use it is now slightly off vertically, but still dead-on horizontally (where it counts).

Fuji GF670 focus issue

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 01-02-2014 at 03:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    In normal circumstances, I'd send it back too. But I bought this camera knowing full well that I have no warranty. Fujifilm states clearly, as did the person in the store: No warranty service outside of Japan.

I bought this camera for $600 cheaper than I could in China. That's the price of a slightly misaligned viewfinder.

I'll try your test next time I am out with the camera.
    Well, at least it sounds like the adjustment is easily accessible. It helps to have the camera on a tripod when you check the RF. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    You are extraordinarily talented at brutal sarcasm, Mustafa.

As to the RF issue, some vert alignment can occur even in brand new cameras out of the box, for whatever reason. I've seen it in new Leicas before, as well. As for why the adjustment isn't locked from the get go, I believe it's because of the parallax compensation...
    Although they both get their "movement message" from the Rf cam, the parallax compensation and Rf vertical alignment are not related. In fact quite a lot of RF cameras without parallax compensation are afflicted with vertical misalignment in the Rf; even cameras like screwmount Leicas where the Vf and Rf are entirely separate (no parallax comp either) go out of adjustment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Because I am able to compartmentalize issues...

Try reading the first four posts in the following thread. Reference is made to an adjustment screw that sits higher than the others. If I recall correctly, that is the vertical alignment screw. Note that it's very easy to adjust either the vertical or horizontal alignment while throwing off the opposite alignment. A fair amount of delicate trial-and-error is required to get them both right at the same time.

I adjusted my standard GF670 to be correct in both axes at the beginning of last summer. With light normal use it is now slightly off vertically, but still dead-on horizontally (where it counts).

Fuji GF670 focus issue

Ken
    I guess that I'll deal with this issue when I have actual focus problems. Right my focusing is bang on accurate so any "repair" work that I do is more than likely going to mess with a good thing. But in future, when I need to do this, I'll use your directions as a reference.

If you ever end up doing this again, you should document it with pictures and post it for all the owners of this camera. I'm sure you will get much praise for that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    rangefinder Leicas and their clones e.g. Canon's have three interacting adjustments.

Typically you need to reset vertical then adjust both horizontal!

The arm pivot and the follower pivot horizontal adjustments are independent but interact with the other. The factory people set them up at 1, 10 metre and infinity, the intermediate errors are very small then.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For all that it's done to make rangefinders popular again, Cosina hasn't put enough effort into creating a rangefinder that stays in alignment or is properly aligned out of the box. Other camera makers were able to do this, but this has been an obvious weakness among Cosina made cameras. What a shame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    For all that it's done to make rangefinders popular again, Cosina hasn't put enough effort into creating a rangefinder that stays in alignment or is properly aligned out of the box. Other camera makers were able to do this, but this has been an obvious weakness among Cosina made cameras. What a shame.
    What brands do they make?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin