Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,819   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rangefinder Alignment Question

Today while out shooting with my new Fujifilm GF670W, I noticed that there may be an alignment issue with my rangefinder. First off, I have shot 5 rolls of film through it so far and no frames have been out of focus.

Today, I was standing at a street corner, wanting to shoot the traffic that was driving by. I pointed my camera down at the street, focusing on a part of the road that was some contrast to it. I found that I could focus both images in a left/right manner, but when they were lined up, one image was slightly higher than the other. In other words, the images were lined up in one direction only. In the up/down direction, they were not lined up. I have never noticed this before. It seems more prevalent in closer focusing. Since I am getting accurate focus, I'm not sure what this means.

Has anyone had an issue like this before? Should it be corrected?

Finally, does anyone know if I can adjust the rangefinder on a GF670W by myself?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another thread on the same subject. May be helpful. http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=104445 Also, if it is the same range finder as the Epson, maybe this will help too. http://cameraquest.com/Epson-R-D1/_r-d1/r-d1_16.htm And, this may be the best one. http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i.../t-118397.html
    Last edited by Too old to care; 01-01-2014 at 09:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    vertical alignment is bothersome, but the camera will still focus accurately, you just have to use vertical lines if the difference is large. If it bothers you, have it fixed. If it is minor, or something you only notice when you move your eye around, live with it.

I've found that with all rangefinders a bit of vertical alignment is inevitable after a while, dunno why. You can have it adjusted, certainly, and you should have it done by someone who knows what they're doing. The regular 5-year service is a good time to do this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Whatever the camera is, that is the easiest problem to correct.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The vertical alignment is a bit off, this is harmless, but is a pain if you're a perfectionist type. A couple of years ago this would have bothered me, now it would not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. After paying $2200 for this camera, I want everything to be perfect. However, since it is a harmless "defect" I guess I should learn to live with it, especially since I get no warranty for this new camera. Fujifilm will only service it in Japan and I'm not going to ship it back there for this.

I wonder, why is there even a vertical adjustment at all since it does nothing for focusing? Why isnt this parameter just locked? Why is there an adjustment available?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe you can look for info on adjustment using the older bessa folders as a reference. I honestly am not sure if the internal builds would even be similar though. The problem with these alignment issues is that once something starts moving, it may continue to move until it hits a stop. The screw needs a dab of loctite to secure it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm wondering if pointing my camera so deeply down, shooting an object from above, somehow magnified the discrepancy in the vertical alignment. I never noticed this much when shooting straight on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I'm wondering if pointing my camera so deeply down, shooting an object from above, somehow magnified the discrepancy in the vertical alignment. I never noticed this much when shooting straight on.
    If you want to check the alignment both V and H, use a distant streetlight, the moon, or some other pointy light source with a dark background. I'm not familiar with your camera, but resetting the vertical alignment usually neccesitates resetting the horizontal alignment too. In a new camera costing $2200, I would not tolerate any such issues at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    The vertical alignment is a bit off, this is harmless, but is a pain if you're a perfectionist type. A couple of years ago this would have bothered me, now it would not.
    It isn't harmless.
    When you are using a vertical line as a focussing point, there isn't much of a problem. But if you have only the texture of an object to focus on, it's a very real problem. It makes it difficult to use the camera in vertical orientation as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin