Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,557,988   Online: 1084

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    M2 viewfinder as clear as day and I have never noticed a blue tint.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    This is confusing...every M2/3 I have looked through has a tint.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an M3 and I can't say I notice a tint. If it is there it must be quite subtle. What I do notice, and like quite a bit, is that the rangefinder patch does not flare to white like my M6 does.

I do find it somewhat amusing. When they built the first M3 there were no problems but as time progressed, and the M was "improved", the rangefinder began to flare. Thank goodness for improvement. There would not be a thing to write about without them.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    the design of the M 3 viewfinder is different from all later types, beginning with the M 2. Therefore all later viewfinders till the MP/M 7 are more or less prone to flare. I had exchanged my M 6 viewfinder window against the newer multicoated MP type at the LCS, it was very expensive, now I have much less flare from light sources outside the viewing frame but now instead of that the two LED's of the lightmeter are so bright that it is difficult to see correctly the balance of brightness. Maybe that is not the case in an original MP. Besides: My M 3 DS viewfinder has a very slight yellowish tint. Do not try to dissassemble a M 3 viewfinder as the prism could separate and no spare parts are available. Even the LCS does not repair or clean a M 3 viewfinder except at your own risk.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The links below confirm the viewfinder attributes. I forgot to mention a Minolta CLE may also be a good low price shooter. Still, a double stroke M3 is a real classic.

BTW a CLE 40mm, 90/4, and collapsible 50mm is a wicked light weight, inexpense combo.

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/m3.html

http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...s/LeicaM3.html
    RJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jochen View Post
    Do not try to dissassemble a M 3 viewfinder as the prism could separate and no spare parts are available. Even the LCS does not repair or clean a M 3 viewfinder except at your own risk.
    Thou shalt not fear. CRR Luton will completely rebuild M3 (M2/M4) finder assemblies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But you cannot replace an M3 finder -- there are no parts available. You need a donor camera to do it.

Replacements done by Leica or by Sherry, DAG, etc. are done with the M6J finder, which is .85 magnification.

For the skilled repairers, almost anything is possible.

Some years ago I bought an MDa at a good price, intending it to be a dedicated body for the 15mm CV Heliar. I found I didn't use it much, and at about that time I found a beater M3 that had a pristine finder. I asked Sherry if she could marry the two. She put the MDa innards into an M4 shell with the M3 finder and today it is one of my favorite cameras. On the outside, it looks like an M4 (except no serial number) and has an M3 finder. When you open it up, if you know how to identify the MD innards, you can see it still has the strip which differentiates them.
    Last edited by Rolfe Tessem; 01-09-2014 at 06:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Ummm, after reading the link on repairs, it appears a M4 or newer is a safer bet.
    RJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolfe Tessem View Post
    But you cannot replace an M3 finder -- there are no parts available. You need a donor camera to do it.
    I am not sure if you are refering to my post, but ...
    When I write "rebuild" ... I mean "rebuild" and not "replace".
    CRR Luton will restore an existing M3 rangefinder assembly that suffers from separated prisms to "like new".
    The rangefinder assembly gets dismantled completely, surfaces are resilvered, recemented,
    everything realigned etc. You do not need any spare parts or donor finders for that.
    Please read the site that I have linked to in my previous post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    is a safer bet.
    Safest bet for the money is M6 classic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin