Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,300   Online: 1138

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beater RF

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dsiglin View Post
    One question - how does the camera fair in low light? I know the lens isn't the fastest but with RFs you can hand hold at slower speeds.
    I have a 35RC as well as the 7SII (and a GIII QL17, too). I often find myself making pictures with the 7SII at 1/30 or 1/15 of a second at f/1.7 on Tri-X; in that kind of light the 35RC runs out of steam because the slowest instantaneous shutter speed is 1/15, and I wouldn't be able to hand-hold it at 1/8 or 1/4 with much yield even if it had those speeds. YMMV - depends whether you often find yourself shooting in that kind of murk, and what kind of film you like to use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmm ok. That's a point against it. I see there's a Vivitar 35ES for sale for $50. Would that be considered a worthwhile purchase?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hmm ok. That's a point against it. I see there's a Vivitar 35ES for sale for $50. Would that be considered a worthwhile purchase?
    Depends on condition, and on whether you're OK with having only shutter-priority AE.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would much rather have aperture-priority, but seems that feature isn't to be found on most of the RFs available. I read the 35ES has exposure lock which is one thing I forgot to put into the "want" category.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would much rather have aperture-priority, but seems that feature isn't to be found on most of the RFs available. I read the 35ES has exposure lock which is one thing I forgot to put into the "want" category.
    Go study this page...

http://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm

...and the camera-specific pages linked at the bottom, before you buy anything.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Also consider the Oly 35SP.

Metered (though non-coupled) manual is a feature I love, that isn't really found on any of the other fixed lens rangefinders (that I know of).

Then again, you can do something vaguely similar using any of a number of shutter-priority models...rather than the EV number in the viewfinder, you just get the f/ number, then turn the aperture dial accordingly.

I own three of this type: a Canonet, a Yashica Electro, and the 35SP. The Yashica takes beautiful exposures, but I hate having to trust its (somewhat notorious) "Pad of Death", the Oly gives me metered manual and is a really nice handling camera...but mine needs to be sent to repair a minor complaint (the advance lever doesn't lock, makign it possible to advance through a frame without exposing it), and the Canonet is what I'm most comfortable with and sees the most use, it's minor complaint being that the battery check light only works when it wants to.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to personal preference on your part, which can only be gained through trying a few. That, or just get any of the suggested models and you'll love it because you have nothing to compare it against.

Shooter
    Holga
    I'll second the Oly 35RC. I have one which was my fathers and it still works like a champ. And it easily slips into a pocket. Can also be shot manual, but have to read the meter then set the aperture. Easy enough, but an extra step.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most if not all of these cameras use a trap needle system.
    That means the needle is held in place when the release is partially depressed. So, they all effectively have exposure lock.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    Also consider the Oly 35SP.

Metered (though non-coupled) manual is a feature I love, that isn't really found on any of the other fixed lens rangefinders (that I know of).
    The missing camera from this list is the Olympus RD see

http://www.cameraquest.com/olyrd.htm

The SP has two modes

auto shutter priority
    manual with suggested meter display always active

All the others are more inconvenient to use the meter in manual mode.

The SP also has a spot option in either mode.

The faster lenses have better IQ only the slow RC is competative.

You will need to use a Wein cell or a silver cell with a Shockety diode in most of these (an adapter or soldering iron... for the latter)

Id be torn between a RC and the SP but both have the long travel shutter release of trapped needle shutter priority so when size and weight is not a problem I use a Canon P. Though I have an RD as well as a SP and RC.

Most of the trapped needle cameras are battery independent in manual mode some arnt.

Some lock when the light is too low in Shutter Priority.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Id be torn between a RC and the SP but both have the long travel shutter release of trapped needle shutter priority so when size and weight is not a problem I use a Canon P.
    That's funny, I love the long travel of my SP and Canonet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin