Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,755   Online: 1068

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Beater RF

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There are other cameras if you want a user with different limitation and features for low light...

e.g. the Minolta hi-matic 7s has

maybe good - CLC metering (back lighting should be ok automatically)
    good - program from 1/250@/22 to 1/15@/1.8 (i.e. not shutter priority)
    bad - a lock below 1/15 in programmed mode, so you need to switch to manual, not fast... and the metering stops at 1/15@/1.8 but some of the others will force you to select a slower speed.
    good - a EV display in manual
    compromise - a max ISO of 800
    bad - mercury battery dependency
    bad - no depth of field scale(!)
    compromise - finding one might be difficult though.

So in low light (~1/15@/1.8) forget about programmed, but some of the others are worse, at least the Olympus SP and Minolta 7s allow a meter reading in manual.

The other Minolta Hi-Matics (models) are (each) different.

If you are picky you need to down load each cameras manual, and then borrow the ones you might like - to try.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Reopening this thread, I might shy away from electronic cameras. I have a little Olympus XA. It functions fine, although the meter needle is sluggish. I've read reports from others who say that the electronics aren't hardy.

I think the Olympus 35 RC is an excellent camera. The Canonet GIII QL17 also is a nice camera, but they do seem to suffer from the sticky aperture and frozen shutter blade issue.

If you can keep spare batteries, the Konica C35 Automatic is a fine little camera, although there is no provision for manual exposure. Same goes for the Rollei XF35, which also has a deserved reputation for having a fine lens attached to a dodgy rangefinder mechanism that seems to want to fall out calibration.

If you go earlier, Petri made a very durable rangefinder - the Petri 35 (Color Corrected), although it's a bit heavy and has no meter.

Konica's earliest rangefinders (I, II and III) are all excellent. The III is a heavy camera.

I really like the folding Zeiss Ikon Contessa, as well as the various Kodak Retinas. But I think that I'm venturing beyond the scope of the original thread.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I ended up selling my XA after having it for a few weeks. The rangefinder patch was faded making it hard to take portrait and street photos. However I did run one roll of Superia 200 through it twice for some double exposure fun. I can tell the camera takes very detailed photos, that lens is quite sharp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE-4.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	82840 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE-2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	756.2 KB 
ID:	82841

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know this an old thread at this point, but the OP may want to try something like a Olympus stylus with the fixed 35mm f2.8 or a yashica T4. I've used a bunch of the cameras discussed as the camera-I carry-with-me-all-the-time and I was disappointed with the reliablity. I suspect that any major brand point and shoot with a fixed lens will be pretty good.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin