Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,506   Online: 911

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    All the Canon lenses are fantastic, but I'd say you have the best one. Speedy, sharp, contrasty, the 1.4 is a killer lens, but each you listed is radically different. The 1.8 is extremely sharp. The person above must have a messed with one. The 1.8 is as good as any Leica lens, for sharpness and contrast. The 1.5 is a Sonnar, I've tested it a lot compared to Nikkors and Jupiters. It's a very, very good lens. It's look is classic sonnar, very different from the 1.8 and 1.4. The speed lens, F1.2, can flare quite a bit, and is pretty soft.

Here is a test I did of the 1.2, 1.5, 1.8 a while ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garrett...7628955481717/
    That's exactly what I remember getting from my 1.2. Mush wide open, not very good stopped down.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    All the Canon lenses are fantastic, but I'd say you have the best one. Speedy, sharp, contrasty, the 1.4 is a killer lens, but each you listed is radically different. The 1.8 is extremely sharp. The person above must have a messed with one. The 1.8 is as good as any Leica lens, for sharpness and contrast. The 1.5 is a Sonnar, I've tested it a lot compared to Nikkors and Jupiters. It's a very, very good lens. It's look is classic sonnar, very different from the 1.8 and 1.4. The speed lens, F1.2, can flare quite a bit, and is pretty soft.

holy cow. this is exactly what i was looking for. Thank you so much.
    ugh, now I want the 1.5 and 1.8 too..

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I've got the 1.2 and it's sharp, the DOF is just super thin and the contrast drops off enough to where it might *look* like it is not resolving very well. On celluloid it needs a contrasty film/development combo to look as sharp as the slower lenses.

The 1.8, 1.5 and 1.4 are definitely better value for your dollar, given that the 1.2 can go for $500 and up these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That test on Flickr that goamules posted is one of the things that made me seek out the 1.5. While the 1.8 is a great, and much more common, standard lens, the Sonnar look is pretty distinctive; if you prefer it over the somewhat more modern look of the double-gauss 1.8 or 1.4, as I do, the decision sort of makes itself.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    I've got the 1.2 and it's sharp, the DOF is just super thin and the contrast drops off enough to where it might *look* like it is not resolving very well. On celluloid it needs a contrasty film/development combo to look as sharp as the slower lenses.

The 1.8, 1.5 and 1.4 are definitely better value for your dollar, given that the 1.2 can go for $500 and up these days.
    The 1.2 I had came on a Leica M3 (with a Leitz screw-to-M adapter). I used it with T-Max 3200 for existing light, stuff like a band playing in a dimly lit bar for example.
    I traded the lens even for a Contax II with a collapsible Sonnar (f:2, uncoated) and got pictures I liked much better under the same conditions with the same film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The 1.8 is extremely sharp. The person above must have a messed with one. The 1.8 is as good as any Leica lens, for sharpness and contrast...

Dont think so both of mine have the same signature.
    They use the glass catalogue from the 50's the type IV summicron the glass catalogue from the 70's. The later lens will have better microcontrast on a MTF machine, if you tried, e.g. it is better then the type III summicron on a MTF machine.
    The /1.8 will out perform the /1.2 and /1.5 detectable with slow film and solid tripod. but the /1.4 will be pretty good and very close to the /1.8 especially when both are at f/2... otherwise the difference is size and weight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Comparing the Sonnar types to the double Gauss types really isn't fair. The Sonnars evolved as a large-aperture lens in the early 1930s, when lens coatings were not available. They gave a very good performance with a minimum of internal surfaces -4- compared to the dG, which has a minimum of 6 internal surfaces. The dG type had somewhat better performance at maximum aperture, but the price paid was flare. The Gauss lenses really had to wait for coatings to do their job well.

Canon LTM lenses - http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...s/s/50-85.html

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks for sharing. What film was that? They look so soft. Could it caused by using a digital camera with a smaller sensor? Just in jest.

But seriously . . . By my calculations the best I can observe on my monitor is ~90 dpi or ~3.5 lpmm. Viewing web images for sharpness at that resolution is not very useful.

Can someone provide actual "test data", such as lpmm resolution data (center and edge) for the Canon lenses in question? That would be helpful.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The 1.2 I had came on a Leica M3 (with a Leitz screw-to-M adapter). I used it with T-Max 3200 for existing light, stuff like a band playing in a dimly lit bar for example.
    I traded the lens even for a Contax II with a collapsible Sonnar (f:2, uncoated) and got pictures I liked much better under the same conditions with the same film.
    Well, that's all well and good but maybe someone else would prefer the other look?

I've shot stuff with my Jupiter-8 Sonnar clone that I wish I had lugged the Canon around for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    Well, that's all well and good but maybe someone else would prefer the other look?

I've shot stuff with my Jupiter-8 Sonnar clone that I wish I had lugged the Canon around for.
    That's entirely possible. In just the right circumstances it could be useful. But for what they cost, it's worth knowing what the lens will do before one shells out for it.

I have a J-8 as well, I've made only a few photos with it, but I'm very pleased with the results. Very similar to the Sonnar it's a clone of.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin