Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,745   Online: 848

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Canon LTM lenses similar? 50mm f1.8, 1.4, 1.5, 1.2

Hey,
    Longtime lurker with a question.
    I bought a canon 50 1.4 and I'm very happy with it. I was thinking about getting a 1.8 as well for sharper images, would this be a total waste? Are these lenses going to give me different results or am I all set with one and should just get something different? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the Canon LTM lenses are anything like the Canon FD lenses the 1.8 lens would be a waste of money, because the 1.4 one is a much better lens.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLikesPhotos View Post
    Hey,
    Longtime lurker with a question.
    I bought a canon 50 1.4 and I'm very happy with it. I was thinking about getting a 1.8 as well for sharper images, would this be a total waste? Are these lenses going to give me different results or am I all set with one and should just get something different? Thanks.
    I can tell you from personal experience that the 1.2 is, unless you like flare, ghosting, and soft corners, a huge waste of money. I had one years ago before "bokeh" was a fad. I didn't have the internet either to tell me what a wonderful lens it was, so I traded it for a Contax II.
    As for the other lenses, IIRC they are of different designs - (the 1.5 might be a Sonnar type?) and will have different 'looks". Canon has a site with some info on the older screwmount lenses. I recently acquired a Canon IIb, one look at the prices for the correct Canon lens in as nice condition as the camera and I bought a Soviet Jupiter-8.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 01-14-2014 at 10:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If the Canon LTM lenses are anything like the Canon FD lenses the 1.8 lens would be a waste of money, because the 1.4 one is a much better lens.
    There's one very big difference - the FD 50s are retrofocus (and possibly much later) designs, the LTM lenses are not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stick with what you have. It's a great lens. I'd tell you the same if you had the 1.8 too. Instead get a nice 35 or a good short tele to round out your kit.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm using the 50mm f/1.8 on my Canon 2SII. The original chrome version. And although it is in pristine condition throughout, I would not consider it the sharpest lens. I would give it an acceptable rating in that department. I do prefer this lens over some others I've had on account of . . . being generally fast, aperture click-stops (a must-have), a focus-knob on the barrel (another must-have), perfect weight for camera balance, and the fit & finish compliments the camera. I use the lens/camera as my daily carry-around primarily for snapshots, and the sharpness of the lens is really down on my list of needs. I once had a collapsible Industar-50 that I considered to be quite sharp.
    Last edited by DannL.; 01-14-2014 at 11:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had all three of the LTM 50's and would say stick with what you have. I was never that impressed with the sharpness or contrast of any of the choices though and switched to a leica f/2 in the end. That said the Canon 1.2 was a pretty lovely lens, not sharp but gorgeous looking images for portraits.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    Stick with what you have. It's a great lens. I'd tell you the same if you had the 1.8 too. Instead get a nice 35 or a good short tele to round out your kit.
    that's what I'll do. sound advice.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In the same vintage set there was a /2.8 5cm.

But the /1.4 is a very good compromise only losing out on weight and size to the /1.8, the /1.4 is easier to get filters for, hood just as annoying to obtain.

Noel

Shooter
    Large Format
    All the Canon lenses are fantastic, but I'd say you have the best one. Speedy, sharp, contrasty, the 1.4 is a killer lens, but each you listed is radically different. The 1.8 is extremely sharp. The person above must have a messed with one. The 1.8 is as good as any Leica lens, for sharpness and contrast. The 1.5 is a Sonnar, I've tested it a lot compared to Nikkors and Jupiters. It's a very, very good lens. It's look is classic sonnar, very different from the 1.8 and 1.4. The speed lens, F1.2, can flare quite a bit, and is pretty soft.

Here is a test I did of the 1.2, 1.5, 1.8 a while ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garrett...7628955481717/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin