Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,704   Online: 945

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Since I've already bumbled once, I won't say anything about the comparisons of Leica owners and Holga lomographers...
    Stone Hi

btw, how do you find the time to post what you do, not only on here but also on the LFPF, and other sites too I'm sure.........?

.............ok, I have both a Leica M3 and a Holga (not to mention many others), it's all about your mood at the time, isn't it.............I've just loaded some expired HP4 and Fuji 160 into 6x7 and 6x9 Ensign folders plus some Agfa 100 into a previously unused Zeiss Contessa Prontor SLK Spezial, for some hopefully candid/street stuff at the weekend - maybe I'll also go with the Holga, maybe not

regards

andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To be honest these pictures could have been made with any decent 50mm lens.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Gee, Nikanon, I did not think I would ever see pictures from Philadelphia (where I live). You seem to have captured its essence (although I do not know if that is a positive or pejorative statement). I have stood in that Megabus line many times: It is almost a subway stop to New York. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    pictures look fine, nothing wrong with a summitar, although Leitz obviously thought there was so they made the Summicron.

I like to tell folks that some of the greatest images in the world, ever, were shot with uncoated optics and lenses that would be considered junk by modern standards -- really, what matters is the shooter, not the lens. And a few scratches won't hurt at all, although a lot can degrade the image. These older lenses have defects that do give them a distinct look, although that look often makes a more pleasing image.

I'd be embarrassed to admit how many of last year's really good shots were taken with a Holga, for example.
    +1!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because many of the people who can afford something like a brand new Leica, don't actually know what a good image is or how to make one... Except ny accident, Hehe
    Stone, I find your comment borderline. Having money to afford a Leica has very little to do with photographic skills. If you disagree, feel free to elaborate.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    To be honest these pictures could have been made with any decent 50mm lens.
    I fully agree. Not sure these pictures show the real potential of the lens... It can be said from most of the pictures posted in the internet. Said differently, nothing replaces a print!
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Gee, Nikanon, I did not think I would ever see pictures from Philadelphia (where I live). You seem to have captured its essence (although I do not know if that is a positive or pejorative statement). I have stood in that Megabus line many times: It is almost a subway stop to New York. - David Lyga

Isn't Megabus half way between 30th station and Drexel U?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Stone, I find your comment borderline. Having money to afford a Leica has very little to do with photographic skills. If you disagree, feel free to elaborate.
    I was being snarky, I admit that.

Realistically there are more people who can afford a new Leica who are not real photographers but want to talk about owning one to inflate their self importance. There are many people who are talented photographers who can afford a Leica and use it well, but there are more rich people who just want to buy one so they can talk about owning one, but suck at taking pictures. There are also many talented photographers who would want a new Leica but could never afford one.

Ergo by logic, there are more Leica owners who bought brand new that are not good at taking pictures than there are Leica owners who bought brand new, that are capable of taking good pictures.

I'm just going by logic, ultimately it doesn't matter, there are many canon 1DX owners who also can't really take a picture but bought one just to talk about owning one. This is true of many high end products. High end sports car owners (lotus/Ferrari/porche/Lamborghini/etc) who can't drive worth a $#!1

Sorry if I was insulting to you.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    I was being snarky, I admit that.

Realistically there are more people who can afford a new Leica who are not real photographers but want to talk about owning one to inflate their self importance. There are many people who are talented photographers who can afford a Leica and use it well, but there are more rich people who just want to buy one so they can talk about owning one, but suck at taking pictures. There are also many talented photographers who would want a new Leica but could never afford one.

Ergo by logic, there are more Leica owners who bought brand new that are not good at taking pictures than there are Leica owners who bought brand new, that are capable of taking good pictures.

I'm just going by logic, ultimately it doesn't matter, there are many canon 1DX owners who also can't really take a picture but bought one just to talk about owning one. This is true of many high end products. High end sports car owners (lotus/Ferrari/porche/Lamborghini/etc) who can't drive worth a $#!1

Sorry if I was insulting to you.
    Have you thought about the fact that you don't need to own a Leica in "real life" to be an owner on the internet?

I own a Ferrari. And a Lambo. And a Porsche. Actually, make it three of each.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure, any decent camera/ lens combo will do the job, but if you can afford a Leica, by all means get one...they are still lovely things to use.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin