Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,886   Online: 942

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone, if you want to be logical, judge people by their actions, not from your fantasy, it will make your life easier.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I was being snarky, I admit that.

Realistically there are more people who can afford a new Leica who are not real photographers but want to talk about owning one to inflate their self importance. There are many people who are talented photographers who can afford a Leica and use it well, but there are more rich people who just want to buy one so they can talk about owning one, but suck at taking pictures. There are also many talented photographers who would want a new Leica but could never afford one.

Ergo by logic, there are more Leica owners who bought brand new that are not good at taking pictures than there are Leica owners who bought brand new, that are capable of taking good pictures.

I'm just going by logic, ultimately it doesn't matter, there are many canon 1DX owners who also can't really take a picture but bought one just to talk about owning one. This is true of many high end products. High end sports car owners (lotus/Ferrari/porche/Lamborghini/etc) who can't drive worth a $#!1

Sorry if I was insulting to you.
    HiStone

Well snarky is probably true but
    for wippersnappers probably acceptable - on the web.
    Statistically lots of people buy them (Leicas) as jewelery more so than holgas.
    Many Holgas are bought for trendy - plastic jewelry.
    Most Holgas are way expensive.
    The Lubitel is more than my Canon P & FSU 28mm!
    The remanufactured Russar >> astro... more than a nice M2!

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    Sure, any decent camera/ lens combo will do the job, but if you can afford a Leica, by all means get one...they are still lovely things to use.

I really like my Leicas. (one IIIa, one IIIf and one M2). I don't think I'm being snooty when using any of them, I just enjoy using them.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    pictures look fine, nothing wrong with a summitar, although Leitz obviously thought there was so they made the Summicron.
    More normally one of the glass types is no longer made or has been contrabanded.
    The glass catalogue changed a lot from '36 to '50 much higher refractive higher dispersion glasses were available.
    The very early Summicrons had a thorium glass which was replaced after initial batches.
    The Summicron was designed for coating the summitar for uncoated.
    You can tell them apart on a slow film and heavy tripod on a chart for off axis IQ, but in normal use if the summitar is coated it will be higher contrast.
    People pay a lot more for a Summicron, alas down to marketing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently got a Summitar from 1939 as well. I'm a little bit unsure what to make of it. Sometimes very sharp, sometimes not so much. I think I just am not focusing correctly with my Leica III.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mosesroses.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I recently got a Summitar from 1939 as well. I'm a little bit unsure what to make of it. Sometimes very sharp, sometimes not so much. I think I just am not focusing correctly with my Leica III.
    Aperture you're shooting at could have a lot to do with it?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Aperture you're shooting at could have a lot to do with it?
    Yeah, only three rolls into it, I haven't figured out what exactly is going on. The rangefinder is accurate at least relative to the markings on lens. I haven't done a full blown lens test on it yet. I am going under the assumption that I am just not being careful enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both a 1939 Summitar and also an earlier Summar. They are really cool lenses, I use them on my IIIa and IIIf. The Summitar is a bit sharper, but I think it was better cared for in its previous life. They each have their own charm, i don't use those two cameras a whole lot, I missed out an an LTM Summicron a while back, but I don't really miss it, and saved a pile of money in the process.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Part of me wants to ditch all my gear (35mm, medium, and 4x5) and get an M3 and modern Summicron 50mm. Simplify things. But then I think of those 6x7 transparencies and hesitate.....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Part of me wants to ditch all my gear (35mm, medium, and 4x5) and get an M3 and modern Summicron 50mm. Simplify things. But then I think of those 6x7 transparencies and hesitate.....
    Yea, I bust on Leica owners a lot, but I want one, an M6 but simply for it's indiscreet size for certain shooting. I was at this event and my canon 1V click was so loud... That's the only reason, don't kill me but I wish they made an auto focus version of the M6 haha! :-0
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin