Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,041   Online: 1231

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Leica 50mm Summitar f-2 (1939) with Tri-X samples

Some images made with Tri-x 400 at 800 developed in D76 with the Leica Summitar. My copy is very scratched internally and externally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you would like to share your images, please consider being a subscriber, rather than making a random post about your images.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If you would like to share your images, please consider being a subscriber, rather than making a random post about your images.
    I'm not sure what you mean? I'm not sharing the images for the sake of sharing photographs, but to show how a lens performs. I thought a real world experience would be more useful than a test chart. It's useful to be able to search a subject line when looking for lens performance and get actual images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks good. Likely in brighter conditions or shot towards the sun you'll have some flare issues but otherwise quite the performer. I have one with few scratches but some separation on the edges. Probably why it was so cheap. But I like its signature so much I've kept even though I also have a 50/2 Summicron DR.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    Looks good. Likely in brighter conditions or shot towards the sun you'll have some flare issues but otherwise quite the performer. I have one with few scratches but some separation on the edges. Probably why it was so cheap. But I like its signature so much I've kept even though I also have a 50/2 Summicron DR.
    Yes, I'm sure it will flare plenty, I like to shoot with the sun at my back mostly. I actually had a 50mm rigid Summicron, a 50mm f1.5 Nokton, and sold both of those because I don't use wider than 28mm on my Ms, but when I got a screwmount, the little Collapsible Summitar became perfect for a pocket camera and performs exceptionally at f-2.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikanon View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean? I'm not sharing the images for the sake of sharing photographs, but to show how a lens performs. I thought a real world experience would be more useful than a test chart. It's useful to be able to search a subject line when looking for lens performance and get actual images.
    I'm sorry, that wasn't clear to me, my apologies.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    pictures look fine, nothing wrong with a summitar, although Leitz obviously thought there was so they made the Summicron.

I like to tell folks that some of the greatest images in the world, ever, were shot with uncoated optics and lenses that would be considered junk by modern standards -- really, what matters is the shooter, not the lens. And a few scratches won't hurt at all, although a lot can degrade the image. These older lenses have defects that do give them a distinct look, although that look often makes a more pleasing image.

I'd be embarrassed to admit how many of last year's really good shots were taken with a Holga, for example.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    pictures look fine, nothing wrong with a summitar, although Leitz obviously thought there was so they made the Summicron.

I like to tell folks that some of the greatest images in the world, ever, were shot with uncoated optics and lenses that would be considered junk by modern standards -- really, what matters is the shooter, not the lens. And a few scratches won't hurt at all, although a lot can degrade the image. These older lenses have defects that do give them a distinct look, although that look often makes a more pleasing image.

I'd be embarrassed to admit how many of last year's really good shots were taken with a Holga, for example.
    Since I've already bumbled once, I won't say anything about the comparisons of Leica owners and Holga lomographers...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Since I've already bumbled once, I won't say anything about the comparisons of Leica owners and Holga lomographers...
    It's all about the tool. I haul leicas around a lot, but one of the best shots i got last year, the one i printed up and gave to my wife for her birthday, was shot with a Holga on Tri=X that expired around 1978.

When you are just goofing, sometimes that's when you capture the moment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fathers day_0001.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	699.8 KB 
ID:	80542

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the right hands, a Summitar will not leave one wanting any other lens. That's my opinion anyway.

The flare when shooting into the sun looks lovely, by the way.

Attached picture shot at f/2.8, Kodak TMax 400 in Xtol, printed on Forte Polywarmton, toned in Moersch Carbon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails caroline_2012-jan_01_921192.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin