Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,497   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Leica 28mm Elmarits

I'm looking to get a 28mm for frequent use, and my budget is in the Elmarit version 4 or used Elmarit Apsh range. Any comments on the differences in image character? My other lenses are older (version 3 'crons, both 35 and 50, and a 21mm SA) and have a perfect mix of smooth and sharp. I know the 28s are more contrasty unless you go back to the BIG ones (not ok with me), but how big a difference are we talking about?

I'm only considering the asph in case the size of the v4 is too much. I like compact!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had a Type I, asph, Voightlander LTM /3.5, Voightlander /1.9 LTM, Canon /2.8 LTM, FSU Orion /6 LTM

So I sold the two Leicas and Voightlander /1.9 I was not using them.

The asph had too little grip surface to mount the other two were too large.

The three I retained have different signatures and are also usable on my LTMs.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I say avoid ASPH lenses if you're content with the look of the older lenses (which I am). ASPH are more micro-contrast, snap, punch oriented; less smooth and silk.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks, both!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I own the version IV. Be careful as sometimes this one gets lens wobble, the front objective unscrews at the aperture with enough force, or after enough use (rattling around in a bag). Perhaps this isn't common but it's my experience. The lens is exactly the size of the 28mm f2 ASPH. I use a 35mm summilux hood on it and it works fine, cheaper too, when used. The performance is more than most will even be able to utilize. This lens has excellent micro contrast edge to edge even wide open, it's best at f-4. Focusing is easy and smooth. It's built very well besides the wobble issue as you would expect. The front element is easy to clean off as it is a Plano-concave, the flat end facing out (probably used in an attempt to flatten the field more). Expect to get it in decent shape for between $1200-$1400.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikanon View Post
    I own the version IV. Be careful as sometimes this one gets lens wobble, the front objective unscrews at the aperture with enough force, or after enough use (rattling around in a bag). Perhaps this isn't common but it's my experience. The lens is exactly the size of the 28mm f2 ASPH. I use a 35mm summilux hood on it and it works fine, cheaper too, when used. The performance is more than most will even be able to utilize. This lens has excellent micro contrast edge to edge even wide open, it's best at f-4. Focusing is easy and smooth. It's built very well besides the wobble issue as you would expect. The front element is easy to clean off as it is a Plano-concave, the flat end facing out (probably used in an attempt to flatten the field more). Expect to get it in decent shape for between $1200-$1400.
    Great information! Thanks. I'm looking at one for $1400 locally. Looks like a good deal, but I'll check for the wobble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want small (very small) and don't mind the f/3.5 widest aperture the CV 28mm Color Skopar is hard to beat.

I originally got mine for my IIIf, but with an LTM adapter it is now a firm favourite on my M bodies. The Cameraquest web site describe it as 'legendary', and I was pretty sceptical until I compared it against my 28mm Asph Summicron which is itself one of Leica's best ever lenses. The CV lens pretty well holds its own at all comparable apertures with the Summicron except f/16, and beats CV's own 28mm Ultron by a big margin. The Color Skopar is actually better than the Summicron in the corners at f/3.5. Even the build quality is a notch above normal with the body being machined from brass and not the usual alloy, meaning the silver versions are proper chrome plated, not anodized. But having been discontinued they do seem to be a bit rare.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    If you want small (very small) and don't mind the f/3.5 widest aperture the CV 28mm Color Skopar is hard to beat.

I originally got mine for my IIIf, but with an LTM adapter it is now a firm favourite on my M bodies. The Cameraquest web site describe it as 'legendary', and I was pretty sceptical until I compared it against my 28mm Asph Summicron which is itself one of Leica's best ever lenses. The CV lens pretty well holds its own at all comparable apertures with the Summicron except f/16, and beats CV's own 28mm Ultron by a big margin. The Color Skopar is actually better than the Summicron in the corners at f/3.5. Even the build quality is a notch above normal with the body being machined from brass and not the usual alloy, meaning the silver versions are proper chrome plated, not anodized. But having been discontinued they do seem to be a bit rare.

Steve
    I have this one in Contax RF mount and agree. Terrific lens!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks. I've had good luck sticking with Leica lenses (tried Zeiss for a while to save money, but went back), but I hear a lot about the VC. I may try one someday, but for now, I want to stick to the Leicas for consistency. They just give that particular look I enjoy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    Thanks. I've had good luck sticking with Leica lenses (tried Zeiss for a while to save money, but went back), but I hear a lot about the VC. I may try one someday, but for now, I want to stick to the Leicas for consistency. They just give that particular look I enjoy.
    Well obviously you cannot go wrong with the Elmarit and I share your affection for Leica glass, though I'm a huge fan of Zeiss glass too. In general I am not so enamored with most VC glass finding it too sterile and clinical and lacking in unique look and character. Purely subjective but there you go. Ihave bought and sold a few (40/1.4. 35/1.2) but I do hold onto and use the 15 Super -wide and 75/2.5, and this 28/3.5 is something more special than most other VC lenses IMO. For a few hundred vs what you'll pay for the Elmarit it's a viable option to try. But if the funds are there and it's Leica you want then grab an Elmarit. :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin