Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,515   Online: 858

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Oly RC has a very sharp lens, though it's f2.8. I find the aperture control ring to be a bit problematic because of its size, but if you are on auto (shutter-preferred), it's not an issue.

That being said, I'd recommed the Olympus 35SP. Its lens is legendary, and its only drawback is that in manual mode the implementation of the EV system isn't the most streamlined. But it fits very well in the hand; not as small as the RC or RD, but a just right size and heft, IMO.

I would also like to try the Konica S2 or S1.6, and the Lynx 14. But SWMBO says no more camera-buying for now. For interchangeable RFs, I would be tempted to go the Zorki or Kiev route. If budget were not a problem, the new Zeiss Ikon. Hell, I'd probably sell some OM stuff to finance that. Did I just say that?

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just a quick update to anyone that is interested. In the end I decided on the QL17 despite the problems I had with one I tried before due to it being much smaller than a GSN etc. Got one off ebay for probably a little over the odds but it had been fully checked out with replaced seals, when it arrived it looked basically new, ready to give another 20+ years of service!

Took it out to London street shooting and it's small size and quietness made quite a difference. Still not sold on rangefinder focusing, I find it a bit slow and difficult compared with a manual focus slr but I'll get used to it. Didn;t have any real issues adjusting teh apature and shutter speeds as I did before, I think the one I tried had much stiffer rings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good choice. You soon get you used to RF focusing. I found it slightly slower at first, but now its much faster, especially in poor light.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m_liddell
    still not sold on rangefinder focusing.
    you may need to clean the rangefinder if it is a bit dim. We just had a thread on that recently.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first "good" camera I owned was Konica S2 - I wish now I had kept it. Two concerns - I believe that it used mercury batteries (not necessarily a fatal problem), and it's neither compact nor light.

A few years after I sold the S2, I also decided that I wanted a small rangefinder for casual/street use. After shopping around, I settled on an Olympus 35RC. Still have it and still use it. Small, light weight (it can go in a jacket pocket). It does require a PX625 mercury battery, but they last forever, and I was able to purchase a few in Asia a while back so I don't need to worry about that problem for many years. They are fairly widely available in the used market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Konica C35 is also a good choice. Not nearly as good build as some of the others listed here, but still reliable and with a very nice lens. Also, auto only, but I've always found the exposures to be good and for difficult lighting situations you can always compensate. good ones can be had for not much money on that horrible, awful auction place.

I'm sure you're be happy with the Canon, but now that the disease ... albeit dormant ... just wanted to be an enabler.

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin