Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,711   Online: 750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

M5, M6, M7 or MP

Im trying to decide which would be the best Leica for my purposes (travel and street photography). I find it difficult to choose between the M5, M6, M7 and MP. Maybe the experienced Leica users amongst you all could shine some light on this dillema ? Thanks in advance.
    Wouter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The M7 if you want aperture priority auto exposure. MP if you want a more traditional manual Leica. Both of them are expensive, being the newest models. The M5 is the least traditional of all Leicas. It's bigger and doesn't follow the traditional Leica body design. Its meter system is kind of odd compared to later models. I like the M6. It's a traditional Leica with a meter. It's more readily available on the used market and the price is considerably lower than the M7 and MP.

Beginning with the M4-2, Leica started using more economical methods of manufacturing. The M3, M2 and M4 are felt by Leica enthusiasts to have more hand fitting and to be better cameras. Personally, I just like using Leicas because they're small and quiet. I've owned an M4-P and I currently have two M6's. Except for the meter being dead on one of the M6's, I've had no complaints with any of them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter from Brazil
    Im trying to decide which would be the best Leica for my purposes (travel and street photography). I find it difficult to choose between the M5, M6, M7 and MP. Maybe the experienced Leica users amongst you all could shine some light on this dillema ? Thanks in advance.
    Wouter
    I have never owned a Leica, but I dream about getting one. And M5 would be the least wanted. I like the M7 for the handling and the features, and MP for traditional back-to-basics. I would go with the M7 if you can afford it. Otherwise try out M6.

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a technical note; IIRC, the M5 has continuously variable shutter speeds, not just the set detents.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had an M6TTL for 2.5 years now. Rarely have I used my SLR's since then. It's a fantastic tool.
    However, although Leica's are said to be very tough, my experience is that there are things that can go wrong. Right out of the box, the 1/1000 shutter speed of my new M6 was creating funny patterns on film. About 1 year later there was another problem with the ISO dial. All these problems were fixed under the 2 year warranty.
    Just because of these experiences, I would buy a new M7 or MP because they come with a 5 year warranty. I know, the price is outrageous.
    On the other hand, if I knew a good repairman who could fix Leica's for a reasonable price then I would be very happy to get a used Leica M.

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a new M6 TTL five years ago and love it. I initially bought and still have a classic M6, but later bought the former because of its computerized interaction with Metz flashes. Some purists say "phooey" about using a flash unit with the M6 TTL, but I find it to be wonderful when there is insufficient light indoors. I'd rather use a flash unit with, say, Delta 100, indoors than switch to a very high-speed, grainy film. And I find the maximum sync speed of 1/50th of a second to not be a bother since Metz's flashes throw out enough wonderful light in spite of that. I use both the Metz 44 MZ-2 and 54 MZ-3 flash units with my M6 TTL. My inspiration for using flash indoors with my M6 TTL was my deceased father, who used a Vivitar 283 flash unit and a Metz potato masher unit with his M3 and M2-R bodies for decades and successfully got gorgeous indoor shots on both color and black and white film. So, if you have children, say, and expect to photograph birthday parties and other celebrations, buy the M6 TTL for its flash capability. It's cheaper than the M7, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't need the quasi exposure automation of the M7, I, too, would recommend the M6 TTL. The flexibility of being able to use TTL-automated flash on the odd occasion is handy. Plus, the M6 TTL's meter is one stop more sensitive than the M6 at low levels. The MP, IMHO, is mostly for masochistic nostalgia buffs.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an M4 which I love, but if I was going to do it again, I would have probably gone for the Minlota CLE. Basically the same features as an M7, but smaller and less expensive.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used the Leica M4-P for several years now. I believe of all of the M's they are now and for some time have been the best buy. They have steel gears and are made for the motor winder which I do not have. There are 6 framelines in the M4-P. They are: 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, and 135. They are very fast to load like many of the modern M's and they are somewhat available. I have done a fair amout of street Photography and I always used the Leica. Set on Hyperfocal they are very fast and accurate. As a suggestion try Jimmy Koh, a very reputable dealer in Bellmore, New York. Koh's Camera for his website. Ritz camera also had some a while back, and may still.
    Barney

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One more thing on the Leica M's, whichever model you choose. A very very good bag for them for the street and travel is the Billingham L2. They were called the "Alice" when I bought mine. They are very compact. I can carry a body, a compact 50mm Elmar, a 35mm, a 90mm elmarit, a 135mm all in cases, an MR meter, universal view finder, which I like to use instead of the camera viewfinder, and several rolls of film. the bags are waterproof, extremly well made, and you can work out of them easily for many hours on the street. They cost about 170 bucks or so now.
    Good Luck and I hope this info helps: Barney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin