Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,419   Online: 862

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Russian lenses, and Canon LTM. I really liked the P and the VL's aren't bad.
    I had a Fed that was good enough too. Although the Canons have various fame lines.

^^^^ also agree the QL17 is a dandy handy camera, nice and sharp.

Warning... Leica CL.. the only camera(s) to let me down. Damn shutter damn the CL to hades!
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 04-23-2014 at 11:34 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Leica CL damn it to hades.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    How about a Retina IIa. I picked one up not so long ago for about £35. It has a Retina-Xenon F2/50mm and is a folder. The only 35mm camera I have that even in it's case fits in my coat pocket.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    How about a Retina IIa. I picked one up not so long ago for about £35. It has a Retina-Xenon F2/50mm and is a folder. The only 35mm camera I have that even in it's case fits in my coat pocket.
    ^^^ OP titled thread "Affordable Rangefinder". To me that means under $200, perhaps $60. USD. Those Retinas are almost in Leica territory over at e-bay. Not that they are selling.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    ^^^ OP titled thread "Affordable Rangefinder". To me that means under $200, perhaps $60. USD. Those Retinas are almost in Leica territory over at e-bay. Not that they are selling.
    Well as mentioned I bought mine for £35, which equates to about $59 and I thought cameras were a lot cheaper in USA.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry ... I wasn't familiar with the Retina you mentioned... found several on ebay with asking prices well north of what you mention. Sorry... and thanks for the information.

Shooter
    35mm

Contax G system

Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    A rangefinder with autofocus?? Interesting. How does that work? Sounds like a contradictio in terminis to me.
    Google Contax G @ Ken Rockwell. He says the G2 has it all over any Leica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    Google Contax G @ Ken Rockwell. He says the G2 has it all over any Leica.
    Another gratuitous overstatement from Ken. Sure it's a fine camera with top notch lenses, but all over is a bit unfair, I'd say in pair.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Konica Hexar RF is unloved, but very capable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Surely if low cost is of prime importance and in despite of this, high quality is desired too, then is it not best to concentrate of medium format rangefinder cameras?

AGFA Record III, Mamiya - 6 folding, Zeiss IKONTA 524/2, MOCKBA-5 and so on are not expensive even now and all have very good lenses to deliver high quality results that will compare well with those from more expensive 35mm rangefinder cameras.

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Voigtlander Vitessa L?

Excellent f2 Ultron, coupled rangefinder with parallax correction, excellent ergonomics - left hand advances film with plunger, right hand focus and shutter, coupled depth of field scale on top panel, flash MXV connector on left hand barn door. Incredible "cool" factor, engendered with plunger, "barn door" lens closure, superlative build/finish quality.

Minuses - (and ALL cameras have them, even the sainted Leicas! Think cloth focal plane shutters and the sun!) Age. Mid to late '50s. My understanding is that any rangefinder work is hideously expensive. That &^%$*I)(*(*& LVS EVS interlock system, although it could be disabled. And who though that a fully removeable back was a good thing? Grrrrrr..... Filters use a sort of bayonet system, which makes them rare and consequently expensive, when available. Same for the "proper" lens hood. Many have a built in selenium cell meter, which may or may not work; in any case rely on your hand held Weston or Norwood Director, to be in "style."

But there are a lot of them out there. Figure about $200 for a decent example. Not a bad price for a true icon.

Still. If a Vitessa L needs shutter work it should be "cheap," comparatively. It is a delightful user. All you need is a '55 Chevy Bel Air convertible to really rock in style.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin