Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,791   Online: 706

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Affortable Rangefinder?

Hey guys,
    These rangefinder camera's a have caught my attention recently and was wondering if anyone knew of a affortable Camera that has good optics and good reputation for durabilty. I looked at Leica M2 .. that is a gorgous camera, but typically comes with a premium price tag. Any imputs?

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless you go Russian, affordability is directly proportional to the size of your wallet. I find that most quality rangefinder cameras are too rich for my blood. The Kiev 4A that I borrowed some years ago had a good lens but like many Russian cameras buying can be a bit of a lottery.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thats what I'm realizing.. Anyone else?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A good rangefinder that I've gotten good photos from is my Canonet. It doesn't have the mystique of the Leicas and other early RFs, but it's a good, honest camera you can find for a low price.
    -----------------------------
    In 3D where available, void where prohibited by Law.
    -------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Screw mount Leicas. Not so expensive as M, and with great reputation and optics.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This one sold apparently within one day, but is a nice and affordable example of Russian RF:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...zorki-4-a.html

I don't know what your budget is, but I love my Bronica RF645 camera. A beautiful rangefinder camera using 120 roll film and negative size 6x4.5. The Bronica lenses are excellent!! Maybe something to consider too.

See also: http://www.japancamerahunter.com/201...n-rangefinder/ and http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Bronica_RF645
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 03-27-2014 at 11:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're interested in rangefinders because of the compact size/weight and the amazing wideangles, consider the Contax G1.

It's an autofocus rangefinder, with aperture priority and good magnesium body.

The main attraction are the Zeiss lenses, which are stunning in performance.
    And the best part is, the system can be had for cheap.
    ~450 for the body *and* a lens.
    The lenses go for ~300$ for the usual ones (28mm, 45mm, 90mm, that last one a bit less).
    Even extremes like the 21mm f/2.8 Biogon cost no more than 600-700$.
    Just google it to see samples of the image quality.

If you're ok with the electronics, it's an amazing little camera, great value for money, and very suited for travel.

Shooter
    35mm

Them old down-home Leica blues....

I adore rangefinder cameras. To me they are the sports cars of cameras. Sure, some other cameras have all the bells and whistles, and lenses are limited, but for certain things they are tops. I had a Leica M2R and loved it, but I let it get away years ago. There's the old Canon P and Canon 7s which are full feature rangefinders with interchangeable lenses. (The Canon 7 has a light meter that is not pretty, IMO). Have you thought about a nice, clean Canon Canonet? They have non-interchangeable lenses that usually top out at f2.8 but take very sharp photos and are small and compact. There is variety of Canonet models. Yashica made some fine cameras similar to the Canonet with even faster lenses. The LYNX has a vey fine f 1.4 lens but is no featherweight. Yashica also made some great Leica clones based on the fine Nicca line which they bought. I want a Yashica YF. I am saving my pennies. I just cannot see me buying another Leica, because of the cost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it would be best to define "affordable" at this point. What is the maximum you are willing to spend on a good quality camera and lens? How far are you willing go money-wise if the perfect camera became available? Over the years I determined that rangefinder cameras were best suited for snapshots when in my hands. So, I have never found myself spending more than a couple hundred dollars on a good rangefinder. I'm sure there are others that wouldn't touch a camera that cost less that several thousand. But, in my opinion Adrian hit it on the nail. Get that price narrowed down.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Hey guys,
    These rangefinder camera's a have caught my attention recently and was wondering if anyone knew of a affortable Camera that has good optics and good reputation for durabilty. I looked at Leica M2 .. that is a gorgous camera, but typically comes with a premium price tag. Any imputs?

ToddB
    What feature must you have?

Has the rangefinder got to be coupled? Or are you prepared to find the range then adjust the focus?

Must you have interchangeable lenses? Or is sticking with one focal length acceptable to you?

Are you happy to use an old camera from the 1950's? Or must it be from the 1980's onwards?

Are you happy to carry a large camera to get the advantages of 120 film? Or must it fold away to a small size?

How much are you happy to spend?

RR

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin