Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,710   Online: 911

Shooter
    Large Format

Weird RF focusing problem!

I just received a Fuji GS645 fold medium format camera and the focusing is weird...

When I look inside of viewfinder, the translucent part/patch is on the left to subject and it moves to right when I start to turn the focus ring clockwise. It changes from seeing a double image to the two images being completely aligned.....of course...and then when I turn the focus ring all the way to right than the translucent also move to the right side of the subject but the problem is when I turn the focus ring back to left, the translucent part won't move until I close the lens and reopen. The rangefinder patch is just stuck at the right corner....The lens moves back and forth tho.

When I turn the focus ring about 70% to the right then if I turn it back to left, the translucent part does moves to left.

There's no battery or film in the camera but I don't think they are causing the problem with focusing...wouldn't they? I've heard the battery is for meter only...

Does anyone know what's causing this?

Thanks,
    Last edited by rustyair; 04-12-2014 at 12:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Optimistic guess: dried-up lubricant makes the RF mirror stick at one end of its travel. Pessimistic (and unlikely) guess; some part bent or worn out of shape causing friction at end of travel. Remedies: a) work the focusing mechanism back and forth, hoping to free the stuck lubricant; b) return to seller; c) repair (self or professional)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Camera needs CLA--old lubricant and dirt. Seen it a million times to where there's no point in even asking about this kind of thing any more. Always the same answer. There is no other answer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard_L View Post
    Optimistic guess: dried-up lubricant makes the RF mirror stick at one end of its travel. Pessimistic (and unlikely) guess; some part bent or worn out of shape causing friction at end of travel. Remedies: a) work the focusing mechanism back and forth, hoping to free the stuck lubricant; b) return to seller; c) repair (self or professional)
    Thank you. I will look in to that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have another answer....buy a Bessa R. You'll thank me afterwards. I have spent many hundreds of dollars on CLAs for Russian cameras and not one of them worked right, no matter who did the work. Oleg, Fedka, etc. I have spent zero dollars repairing Bessa R cameras, and every one of them worked perfectly as soon as I unpacked it. Others may have had different results, this is mine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Definitely get a CLA - the Fuji rangefinders are great little medium format cameras. Worth it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I have another answer....buy a Bessa R. You'll thank me afterwards. I have spent many hundreds of dollars on CLAs for Russian cameras and not one of them worked right, no matter who did the work. Oleg, Fedka, etc. I have spent zero dollars repairing Bessa R cameras, and every one of them worked perfectly as soon as I unpacked it. Others may have had different results, this is mine.
    The OP has a Fuji, which I believe is Japanese... and medium format.
    Tangentially, my Kiev functions just as it should and shows every sign that this state will continue indefinitely.

On topic, there is stiff lubricant in the RF mechanism, it needs cleaning.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks guys.

Is it okay to change the shutter speed when the wind lever is cocked?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin