Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,830   Online: 813

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

How do you meter with your meterless Leica?

Question goes for really any meterless camera. I use an app on my iPhone (Pocket Light Meter), but I am trying to train myself to use the "force within". You know, try to remember or guess what the reading would be. Not that good at it yet. What are others doing? A real meter? Please be specific as I still, after all these years am wishing to learn more what others do.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use either Sunny 16/guesstimate, or the Voigtlander VC Meter II, which slips into the cold shoe easily.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pocket Light Meter here. That's what I have been using with my F. Alas, going back to an FTn finder on the camera, so unless the FTn finder is unuseable, I won't be needing to use the app.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sekonic flashmate

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sunny 16, a bunch of meter-less shooting experience, and a strong appreciation for the exposure latitude generosity afforded by shooting film.

If shooting slide, replace the third comment with a healthy understanding that most shots will not come out well, but the ones that do will be magical.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    depends on the day

heavy overcast meter ocassionally
    sunny cloud meter at several points in street until clouds change then meter again

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This has been something I've been working on as well since returning to film.

I second the comments from Spicy above: Sunny 16 is the starting point. Adjust by feel from there, always remembering that too much exposure is far better than too little.

I use a little Sekonic meter if I need precision (mainly studio stuff).
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sunny 16 when it's easy to figure out, Light Meter Tools for Android sometimes, and I have a Canon S95 which I use as a meter for more complicated / puzzling light, DxO mark lists its ISO settings as being very accurate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always carry a meter, guesswork is foolishness, and it avoids time , effort, and expense of useless exposures
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Polaris incident light meter -- light, accurate, and if I wish I can attach a reflected light doo-hickey (though I rarely do as I prefer incident metering).

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin