Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,628   Online: 747

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The XA is a neat little companion to pack away in the pocket (sans flash) for walks around the bush; currently I'm running an old roll of TMax 100 through it. Over 35 years I have owned four of them (the one I have would be the fifth) — one of which accompanied me on my travels around a good chunk of Australia from 1982 to 1984. It's a bit fidgety if you have big fingers and can be hit-and-miss to focus if you wear glasses or have a vision defect. The condition of the viewfinder and focusing accuracy can be dramatically affected by rough handling and needs careful checking. The best advice I reckon is to take one for a test drive and make up your own mind re suitability.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While it is true that the XA is a very capable camera, small, light, and packed with features usually found in bigger cameras, they are also prone to electronics failure from age. These haven't been made in many years and many have been abused. The circuit boards are flimsy and once cracked, the camera no longer functions. I bought one new in the 80's and it rode everywhere in my pocket for many years. I just sold it a couple of years ago, after letting it live in a drawer for several years.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you can swing it, buy one before selling anything. Then make your decision. They're fun little cameras, very unobtrusive, good optics. But they're still old, electronic plastic cameras, and one day it just won't work (like mine did). I wouldn't want one for my only camera, and would recommend a Konica C-35 or one of the many C-35 clones. Build quality is not the best, but they're metal, have a great lens, and are cheap. They have AE, but the simple exposure lock (half press on the shutter button) gives you control of that. Very fast and simple to use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Alright, thanks for the perspectives everyone! I actually have been considering an OM-1 for some time. I'm pretty broke right now, but I'm going to try and get my hands on one in the next few months.

Sounds like the XA is a bit fidgety, but if I can find a cheap one somewhere I'll give it a test run.
    Olympus XA | Nikon L35AF | Ricoh FF-3 AF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The XA is a cute little camera, and if you find a decent sample it is a lot of fun to just carry it along. But it is not all its cracked up to be regarding lens quality. Yes, it is sharp already at f2.8, but image quality degrades significantly towards the edges. I take the XA along for hikes, but I am not always happy with the image quality for landscape shots. It is a compromise, after all.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am just putting my third roll through one. I like using it but its not as nice as a decent lens on an slr. Its the best camera I have when its the camera I have and its so small that I always do.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given the price this camera type can be bought for I can't imagine the need to dump any current camera, most can be found at boot sales for next to nothing, or on eBay at a fraction more than that. As an XA owner I can't say it is the best pocket camera but in its day it was the most revolutionary so has a lot of followers. Personally I prefer to use my XA2, and for a 'better' camera an olympus 35RC.

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Forrest Conifer,

You should get this lens from trythis... and then look for ANY M42 SLR camera. So what if it's only f/2 - that's what this lens is best at! You'd have to pay a fortune for this lens from anyone else.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...set-style.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Given the price this camera type can be bought for I can't imagine the need to dump any current camera, most can be found at boot sales for next to nothing, or on eBay at a fraction more than that.
    It's not so much a monetary issue as a question of having so many cameras that I get overwhelmed and a number of them just lie on the shelf vs. having a smaller number which makes it easier to choose one to dust off and use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Forrest Conifer,

You should get this lens from trythis... and then look for ANY M42 SLR camera. So what if it's only f/2 - that's what this lens is best at! You'd have to pay a fortune for this lens from anyone else.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...set-style.html
    Good to know, thanks for the link. I've been salivating over a K1000 at a local camera shop and it looks like there's an adapter available that would let me use that lens with it if I do pick it up.
    Olympus XA | Nikon L35AF | Ricoh FF-3 AF

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have XA with me everywhere since 2012. My every day camera. Two easy to find anywhere, cheap batteries lasts as long as you are willing to keep them in the camera.
    Perfectly made to be in the pocket. Easy to focus with distance scale, RF patch isn't very visible but usable for precise focusing at near distances and f2.8.
    The lens in it is very good lens. For b/w and works very well with color.
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin