Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 719

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The XA is a fine camera but, it is just a camera. The difference between a snap shot and a great photo is the photographer....not the camera. Get what ever camera you like and learn to use it well. More importantly however, learn about composition and light. Ultimately, gear does not matter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Olympus XA is a fine camera, but I would never want it to be my only camera. But, hey, one of the great things about living in a free society is that we get do do what we want - even if it doesn't seem to make sense to the rest of us.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    if they could still be bought new, they would be my favorite camera and i'd have one in every bag i own.

unfortunately, i have 2 of them -- one has a fungussed lens, and the other's VF meter circuit is dead and the RF's vertical alignment is way off (although the contrast is still decent, whereas the fungus-lens one's rangefinder patch is basically unusable). plenty of stories of the electromagnetic shutter buttons going out as well.

they're epic cameras, it's just a shame to see a good portion of them finally succumbing to old age (from the early 80s, that's a pretty great run).

i just wish i could have discovered them and film earlier so as to have gotten more "useful time" with them. such is life in the age of plastic and electronic circuitboards...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Should I ditch my current set of cameras for an Olympus XA?

There are still loads of perfectly useable ones out there.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    XA is a nice little one, but definitely not the only one to have. It is closer to a fine point and shoot one and limits one's creativity quite a bit.
    No manual exposure, difficulty in focusing (and in scale focusing due to the tiny numbers that my eyes can no longer clearly see), made me sell mine.
    A nice little one, but not the only one to own.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    Much to like, however there is a reason why they make both chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Bill Barber
    marketing?

Shooter
    35mm
    I say go for it; it'll be an adventure and if nothing else you'll learn the camera's limitations for yourself. It's not like you can't buy another camera in the future.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    But if you are serious about getting into film photography, stop messing around with those compacts and get an SLR. Ask around here and I am sure someone will give you a deal on one.
    I recently purchased a Pentax KX which I've been experimenting with for the past few weeks. Unfortunately, the first roll I ran through it - expired Portra 800 - was woefully underexposed and then totally destroyed by the lab (or lack thereof - Costco) that developed it. The next (Kodak Gold 200) came out better. I have a lot to learn, though.

Quote Originally Posted by thuggins View Post
    The XA2 is very easy to use and gives great results. A 35f3.5 lens very forgiving in focusing. The ASA selection provided all the exposure control I ever needed.

But my favorite is actually the XA1. It is the heart of a Trip 35 in the body of an XA. I've gotten some very good shots with mine. And it will continue to work after a nuclear holocaust.
    Interesting, I haven't looked into either the XA1 or XA2. Thanks for the thoughts, I'm intrigued...

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    The XA is a fine camera but, it is just a camera. The difference between a snap shot and a great photo is the photographer....not the camera. Get what ever camera you like and learn to use it well. More importantly however, learn about composition and light. Ultimately, gear does not matter.
    That's a very good point as well. I personally am not looking to get an XA because I have any illusion that it will make me a better photographer - I think that's a little like those people who say they can run faster when they're wearing Nikes or Rebooks or whatever. But the XA does seem like a very fun little camera and I'm still hoping to get my hands on one because I like 35mm compacts.
    Olympus XA | Nikon L35AF | Ricoh FF-3 AF

Shooter
    Multi Format

like mine

My XA2 has done a good job different times. It's tiny, self-contained, quick to use and it's not scary looking. People seem glad to have their picture taken with my little snappy, and I don't have to make them wait, unless the little flash has to recharge, which can take forever. As an aside, a nicad battery will give the flash a stronger push than other types, from what I've seen. Nicads have brute force, not like the alkaline or ni-mh, just my thoughts. Haven't tried the costly little disposable li-ion, but I believe ni-cad can push harder than any (layman terms).

It's possible to hold filters and things in front of the lens, if it helps. It's tedious, but I have done it. A long time ago, before the age of computers and i-gadgets, and in nice sunny scenic conditions, I had a hard time seeing which chromes came from this camera or from the OM-1n lenses. (maybe just shows how undiscerning I can be)

So, I like mine, but please don't let the word out on these, as I might need to pick up a replacement someday, and I'd hate to see the prices climb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstout View Post
    My XA2 has done a good job different times. It's tiny, self-contained, quick to use and it's not scary looking. People seem glad to have their picture taken with my little snappy, and I don't have to make them wait, unless the little flash has to recharge, which can take forever. As an aside, a nicad battery will give the flash a stronger push than other types, from what I've seen. Nicads have brute force, not like the alkaline or ni-mh, just my thoughts. Haven't tried the costly little disposable li-ion, but I believe ni-cad can push harder than any (layman terms).

It's possible to hold filters and things in front of the lens, if it helps. It's tedious, but I have done it. A long time ago, before the age of computers and i-gadgets, and in nice sunny scenic conditions, I had a hard time seeing which chromes came from this camera or from the OM-1n lenses. (maybe just shows how undiscerning I can be)

So, I like mine, but please don't let the word out on these, as I might need to pick up a replacement someday, and I'd hate to see the prices climb.
    Yes they do, and due to the large currents they can deliver can fry some flashes... they occasionally mention in the instructions not to use Nicads for just this reason (As opposed to keeping the battery manufacturers in business).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin