Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,543   Online: 836

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    All the praise in the world for Leica, but
    do you want to work with a negative that is 1/5th the size you are used to?

Obviously looking at my picture you know my answer, but
    there are limits to what you can do with a big camera.

It all depends on what you value.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what you do I think the M2 is a no brainer...but try for a good one. You don't need a Leica lens, the 35mm Skopar is a gem, as are most of the CV lenses. Going from a Texas Leica to 35mm may come as a bit of shock, like going from the Penthouse to the one room basement

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Chicago area CL or 40 Summicron or M-Rokkor is in the $400.00 range. $700.00 is nuts.
    M2/M3 bodies from ~$500.00 to ~$1000.00(!) There's a black chrome M4 someone is asking $1900.00 for.
    There's always an optimist in the crowd. It is very clean though.

Brassing on a black camera is pretty normal. On a Chrome camera it means it's been used. A lot!
    If the M2 with brassing is black it's very unusual and likely worth much more that the 680.
    Get it, sell it, and put the money towards a clean M camera & keep the change.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The M2 is chrome. Appreciate the comments. And what about the image quality of the Skopar vs the Summicron???

JOhn K---PM sent.
    Last edited by argyrotype; 04-23-2014 at 03:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    M2 versus M3 values have yo-yo'ed over the years.

At one point, you could hardly give an M3 away. Over the past 20 years or so, the M3 has made a comeback. Why? Who the hell knows.

My guess is that it was the M2's reputation in the late '60s and early '70s as a photojournalistic mainstay that secured its premium, even though it was originally conceived as a lower cost alternative to the M3. Today, people are much more savvy about the superb M3 finder and less put off by the lack of 35mm frame lines. Maybe we are just seeing things differently today :-). I will say that after decades of having a 35mm lens bolted to either an M4 or M6, I now use my M3 with 50mm more and the 35mm sees less usage. I have no idea why.

Shooter
    35mm
    M2, and any lens that fits it will do a great job. I agree with those who suggest a body in good condition first, and then CLA it yourself/send it to a good tech for peace of mind.

It seems to me that there are few bargains anymore so bite the bullet and go.

Kevin
    Leica. M6 - Zeiss Contax ll lla and lla - Nikon F2a and F2 Photomic - Rolleiflex 2.8f - Contaflex - Contarex and Various folders
    Flickr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by argyrotype View Post
    The M2 is chrome. Appreciate the comments. And what about the image quality of the Skopar vs the Summicron???

JOhn K---PM sent.
    The Skopar is miles ahead in a drag race, the cron is an auto from the 70s. But you need slow film and tripod to see how large the difference is.

The cron is single coated so does pastel colours and low contrast mono. If you like different paint brushes you need both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

M3 vs M2 , 40mm 'Cron vs 35mm Skopar

I have the 40/2 Summicron and think it's great. I own a couple of VC lenses but I've have bought and sold more than I've kept. On paper they are sharp and contrasty. In character, at least IMHO, they are often sterile and nothing special. But that's me. My favorite 35mm lens for M-mount is the 50/2 Summicron DR because it's sharp but has a nice moderate contrast, which is what I love for my B&W work and I've found is generally not what I get from most VC lenses.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yea confirmed the multi coated (MC) lenses are sterile the single coated (SC) pastel and lower contrast

Cosina make the 40 and 35 /1.4s in both SC and MC.

I have a set of both MC LTM and SC LTM lenses to use dependent on weather forecast, Canon SC LTM from the 60's, for SC, Cosina LTM for MC.

Sold my Leica ones insurance too difficult.

Noel

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Personally, to me main benefit of Leica M is in frame lines, which gives me precise framing. Getting any lens which doesn't match the frame lines makes no sense to me.

I owned CV 35 P LTM version, it was razor sharp wide open. Sold it with Bessa R and purchased PII M mount version of the same lens for my M4-2.
    Also good lens in terms of sharpness and details in the scan and on the print. Nothing particular in the character, but I prefer 50mm lenses if I want something special in the rendering.
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin