Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,772   Online: 1107

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Let's remember the M2 came after the M3 (not that chronological progression means anything). However, in my opinion the M2 is a better camera than the M3 by virtue of a better viewfinder and brightline frames.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
    Personally, to me main benefit of Leica M is in frame lines, which gives me precise framing. Getting any lens which doesn't match the frame lines makes no sense to me.

I owned CV 35 P LTM version, it was razor sharp wide open. Sold it with Bessa R and purchased PII M mount version of the same lens for my M4-2.
    Also good lens in terms of sharpness and details in the scan and on the print. Nothing particular in the character, but I prefer 50mm lenses if I want something special in the rendering.
    The M2s 35mm frame is closer to 40mm than 35mm, so many 40mm lenses have their lug filed to show the 35mm frame rather than 50mm. Leica changed the frame sizes for the M6 and later I think.

Cosina say the 35mm LTM and M have the same optic design.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    The M2s 35mm frame is closer to 40mm than 35mm, so many 40mm lenses have their lug filed to show the 35mm frame rather than 50mm. Leica changed the frame sizes for the M6 and later I think.

Cosina say the 35mm LTM and M have the same optic design.
    My LTM was different in the lens coat color comparing to my M version. But on the B/W scans and prints they are equal.
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    M2 user here. Blessed with many lenses but not either a 35 VC or a 40 Cron.
    I've looked through a M3 and will agree it is a great viewfinder but the M2 offers more options for lenses. Many believe brassing and covering peeling a badge of honor, not going there other than I just had my M2 recovered as I sent it to Youxin Ye for CLA. Having the camera recovered was a no brainer considering the crud building up in the bottom of the camera bag from the covering breaking off.

Go with one of the M2s, take off the lens, open the film door, watch the shutter move at all speeds and pick the best lens/camera combo, the Cron sounds better to me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't know if the OP has already decided, but for what he wants to do, an M2 with a 35 mm would be better, as several people have pointed out. I also agree that he should get a "nice" M2 :-) I don't know about either of the lenses mentioned, but, of course, he should get neither and look for a summicron 35 :-)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I would do neither.

1. One of the joys of using a Leica is the viewfinder. All M previous to the M4 have a blue tinted finder which is not as snappy as the post M2 models. Plus, you need to see the camera and have familiarity to avoid a bad deal. A reputable dealer or knowledgable friend can guide you.

Note. Most older cameras will need an expensive CLA.

However, if these were my choices and I was just thinking of use, not recovering value....I would go with a M2 and 40 if it had the hood. The angle of view for a 40 matches the field of view for the .72 35 frame-line. A clean 40 is a bargain. A Cron 35 is normally over $1400. The 40 records as well as a 35, especially for small 5x7 enlargements. The 40 is a great all-rounder and either a Leitz or Minolta 40, give or take, as good as a Cron v1. Get a vintage camera case to cover up the beauty marks.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 05-26-2014 at 05:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin