Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,513   Online: 1141

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contax G1 or G2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would have thought something like a Leica M4-P along with a CV 35mm Skopar (or whatever) would be around the same sort of price as a good Contax G2 and lens. That said the Contax G2 is the camera I always regret selling most, quirky, irritating at times, but he negatives were something else! But with all the high quality cheap lenses around now for a Leica M mount camera I wouldn't recommend a G2 to a beginner as it would most probably give the wrong impression of rangefinders generally. Better stick to a Bessa or Leica body and do the experience properly.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    I would have thought something like a Leica M4-P along with a CV 35mm Skopar (or whatever) would be around the same sort of price as a good Contax G2 and lens. That said the Contax G2 is the camera I always regret selling most, quirky, irritating at times, but he negatives were something else! But with all the high quality cheap lenses around now for a Leica M mount camera I wouldn't recommend a G2 to a beginner as it would most probably give the wrong impression of rangefinders generally. Better stick to a Bessa or Leica body and do the experience properly.

Steve
    I use my left eye, and shooting w/a Leica is no treat. The Contaxes have the eyepiece more toward the middle, like a SLR.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    I use my left eye, and shooting w/a Leica is no treat. The Contaxes have the eyepiece more toward the middle, like a SLR.
    With a M3 or CanonP or VI you shoot with both eyes open using the right eye in finder. With practice you can do this with M2 or Canon 7.

In my school you had to write with right hand...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, an update to this now. I have bought a Contax G2 Millenium kit. It is in black, complete with 45mm,28mm, 90mm lenses, flash, filters, lens hoods, strap and case, all in near mint condition, the only thing missing is, the original user manual.

I will now download a user manual and try it out, so far over the moon with it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody63 View Post
    ... I have bought a Contax G2 Millenium kit. ...
    Well done! Hope you like it. Not included in the manual but definitely worth to look at: the fastest thumb in the West.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, that is really worth knowing. Will certainly be trying that.

Thanks again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome! Enjoy! Have patience, once you get the knack you'll find it a great camera to work with.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Richard. I have ordered a ready printed user manual, which should arrive tomorrow. Then i will certainly be seeing what it can do. It has a very nice feel, superb engineering, very impressed with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    After my first and only experience dealing with ToCAD, I bought a G1 green label as a back-up. (G1 that takes the 21mm.) Judging from the time and expense it took to simply replace a dented lens hood, I can only speculate that a serious service or repair on my G2, which will be needed at some point, will cost far more than buying a G1 back-up.

This system is all about the lenses. You will want the 21mm, can't remember the last time I took it off. Have fun finding and affording a black one, though.

Heads up on the batteries. Yes, there is a warning that the juice is low . . .then count one potato, two potato, and the camera is dead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A quick question on G1, is it possible to use other than G mount lenses via adapters? Say, would there be a chance of using an M42 lens on it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin