Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,845   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contax G1 or G2

Shooter
    Multi Format

Contax G1 or G2

I have been considering buying a rangefinder camera. Leica's are a complete no no, because of price, so i have been thinking about a Contax, either a G1 or aG2, i think i would prefer a G2 though.

What are your thoughts on these cameras, are they reliable, can they be repaired in the UK easily, as i have heard, it is hard to find someone to repair them.

Help & advice please

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody63 View Post
    I have been considering buying a rangefinder camera. Leica's are a complete no no, because of price, so i have been thinking about a Contax, either a G1 or aG2, i think i would prefer a G2 though.

What are your thoughts on these cameras, are they reliable, can they be repaired in the UK easily, as i have heard, it is hard to find someone to repair them.

Help & advice please
    I'd say they were autofocus cameras and not rangefinders. Only the G2 offers much control on what the camera focus to.

If you want a rangefinder cheaper than a Leica then

Cosina Voightlander (CV) Bessa (various) or
    Canon VI, P or 7

are system rangefinders with options of CV LTM lenses or Canon LTM lens from '50-'70 or CV Ms as applicable.

A user Leica M2, M4-2 etc. is only a little dearer, but some people prefer a Cosina or Canon ignoring the <<$.

There is also the question of fit to your hands if the (controls) are too small or too large...

If you dont want a system rangefinder then there is a large range of even cheaper solutions.

Noel
    Last edited by Xmas; 04-28-2014 at 10:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: moved LTM & typos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody63 View Post

Help & advice please
    I prefer the G1 because it's smaller and lighter.
    Being much less expensive is a nice bonus.
    Te autofocus is just as accurate, except in very low light where the G2 wins hands down, due to the active autofocus.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both. The G1 is a lot nicer to carry around because of its size, but I prefer th G2 because of the focus lock button on the back. I also love my 35-70 zoom for slides, which only works on the G2.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a complete G2 kit for a couple of years. It is an amazing piece of work, and when you use it, hold it, etc. it will make you sad that people don't make cameras like that any more.

The images that it captures the best resolving in any 35mm I've ever shot. That said, it does have a tricky autofocus that takes some getting used to, and you'll muck up some shots until you get the hang of it.

For service, it's still available in the USA through ToCAD America (tocad.com). Worst case, I suppose it could be shipped over the pond.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the G2 most of the time. The 28mm is amazing. Once you get the hang of the focus you never miss a shot. Also the exposure lock switch is easy to use. I disagree with Xmas because it is a rangefinder, the camera just does the work. Yes, it is autofocus but you can use (and I do) the manual focus function which, again, once you get used to it it is great. I use slrs and have a Nikon F2, 3, and 6. All are great but the G2 is in a different class. The 21mm is the best lens I have ever used.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 21 is the best 21 out there. (see Ken Rockwell)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another fan of the G-series. I have both, and I prefer the G2 because of the faster, more precise, more accurate in low light autofocus, the faster motor wind (not that I shoot sports action with it, but sometimes you want to do a series of shots of things like street performers) and the higher top shutter speed lets me keep using large apertures even in bright daylight. And I wholeheartedly agree, the 21mm is perhaps the best lens in that focal length range ever made. It's sharp enough that shot wide open and focused just a little this side of infinity, you can tell that infinity is not actually in focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Contax G1 or G2

I have the G2 and an M2. Very different beasts. The lenses for the G system are terrific but very sharp and contrasty. Great for slide not always what you might want for B&W. You can get user M2/M3 for great prices and with recent CLA (Google Youxin Ye) and the lens selection for Leica mount and screw mount are almost endless. And some real bargains to be had in older Leica glass, Russian glass, Canon and newer VC glass too. That said I love my G2. The G1 is smaller and lighter but many people complain about the AF being tough to use. That said people also complain about the G2 focus that I find spot on once you know how to "place" a focus spot and use the back AF button.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    ok I use the G1 and 28mm with lump of bluetack on focus knob.

I use instinctive point and prefocus to 5 foot. I don't like the focus lag in manual

YMMV

The good news it stops me buying an x100.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin