Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,039   Online: 1065

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There will be a firmware update that will add warning in the viewfinder "lens cap on"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    So tempted to make a joke about Leica and the word "tool" hehe

I agree though, I think the Leica is an excellent camera, I just think a lot of hot shot people with money buy them just to have one without the ability to use then to their fullest capabilities. Probably an affect of the kind of mindset it takes to make that kind of cash is a lot different than the kind of mind to make an artistic image, we think differently, and it takes a special type to be both good at making imagery that is captivating AND the ability to make lots of money...
    I agree that Leica is a brand that is highly desirable, and many buy them for collecting, bragging rights, or feel-good. I do know many photographers whom I have a lot of respect for that use a Leica to very good effect. Some of them are here on APUG, even, albeit to a very limited degree. Unlike us they are out there using them, and not arguing whether they look cool or not.

Oh, and I don't think all photographers are in it for the money. I certainly am not. I pretty much know I will never be famous or great, and therefore don't chase making money with my photography. I don't care about that. I care about the practice of photography, the discipline of trying to see great things in life worth documenting, and then attempting to capture it in a way where I can hopefully affect other people positively or emotionally. The better I become at that the more satisfied I will be as a person, and I believe this satisfaction can't be purchased. It is earned, and therein lies the satisfaction of going through life and feeling as though I have accomplished something good. Even if it's just very minor or even barely noticeable.

That's why I feel sorry for those who buy all of the cool brand things just to look cool. There is no lasting substance to that. You have to find a meaningful way to enjoy them, or else what's the point?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In 1953 I progressed from a Mercury II to a Minolta, then to a Nicca, and finally to a Leica IIIf. I've used Leicas since then except for photographs that demanded the versatility of a SLR. At first I bought the Leica because several experts said it was the best. I've stuck with Leica because they've been proven right. Status be damned. After 44 years my M4 looks awful. It is still capable of awesome photos, even if I'm not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    After 44 years my M4 looks awful.
    A well-used Leica is the best looking Leica.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you don't have a lens cap you can never make that mistake.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Status be damned. After 44 years my M4 looks awful. It is still capable of awesome photos, even if I'm not.
    I'm quite sure you are still very capable of awesome photos.

I have a IIIg (I think, it's 950 miles away in the safe), but the reason I like it is because it was my great-grandfather's. I've run a couple of rolls through it and they're definitely fine, but I doubt I'd carry it because of the status (though it does look cool). And when I shot with it, I left the lens cap home. I somehow knew I'd forget to take it off.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What's even funnier, of course, is the DSLR crowd taking pictures with the lens cap on :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Is there any fellow around who never forgot about that cap?
    All the time.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin