Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,301   Online: 944

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    That's not a watch, it's a trinket. A very expensive trinket.
    Tom, your watch was almost certainly made by A. Schild as an ebauche. Hamilton got most if not all of their self-winding movements from Switzerland and made their last watch in Lancaster Pa. in 1969; they never really recovered from the Hamilton 500 Electric watch debacle of the late '50s.
    Agreed.
    All modern Hamiltons are also ETA ebauches at best, or finished movements.
    My Hamilton chronograph for instance is a Valjoux 7750.

That said, ETA movements are tested and proven, and of excellent quality (especially the top grades).
    One negative is they limit watchmakers, because the latter can't place the dials and complications wherever they want.
    And the other "negative" is they don't have that feeling of exclusiveness and hand-made-ness.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Who are you to judge people or even comprehend how macro and micro-economics run?

You have to realize somethings. Making money is hard for some and easy as water for others. And usually takes brains and balls.

The more you have, the more you make.
    17,999£? Peanuts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Who are you to judge people or even comprehend how macro and micro-economics run?

You have to realize somethings. Making money is hard for some and easy as water for others. And usually takes brains and balls.

17,999£? Peanuts.
    I totally agree, thanks for the insight, I'm going to go buy that watch now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I went to a wedding with a few Leica shooters. I was shooting my All-American, well calibrated Kodak Retina...

I took a portrait of one couple. Better shot than any I took of bride and groom.

Funny how things work out.

You know, it's not hard to strike up a pleasant conversation with someone carrying a Leica. "We" have a lot in common with "them".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I will just stick to my SS Rolex Datejust. My wife gave it to me for my birthday in 1970, I have it overhauled every few years and it is still happily ticking away.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My watch was a very important accessory for a long time. I still own one but now that I am retired I rarely wear it. Feels good.

But even then I would never have considered anything this silly. However, there are people that have to spend their money somehow.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I was shooting my All-American, well calibrated Kodak Retina....
    All Retinas were made in Germany.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't get too excited this watch has no connection to Leica except as a marketing ploy to sell it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post

17,999£? Peanuts.
    You must be a very astute individual.
    Could you please send me a small bag of those peanuts?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You must be a very astute individual.
    Could you please send me a small bag of those peanuts?
    My peanuts are of the cheap, inexpensive kind. I would love to own the expensive tasty ones... I could gracefuly throw them around. My full respect to those who can afford to do so.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin