Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 963

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    "There is precisely one dslr with a full frame sensor, the $8,000 Canon."

Unless, of course, you don't count the Kodak SLR-n or SLR-c which both have full frame sensors...
    I'm sorry, I meant full frame sensor cameras that people actually want to buy...

Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Based upon calculations I have seen:

Velvia:
    36mm x 150 LP/mm = 5400 line pairs horizontally
    24mm x 150 LP/mm = 3600 line pairs vertically.

This represents a total of 5400 x 3600 = 19,440,000 pixels.

Still a lot more than all the DSLR's out there.
    Yeah, but then you would have to use a Leica lens, anyway, to resolve 150 line pairs.

Just kidding.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    Yeah, but then you would have to use a Leica lens, anyway, to resolve 150 line pairs.

Just kidding.
    I'm sure my Schneider lens will do it as well.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cayenne sells like hot cakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I thought the same thing when I heard that Porsche was building an SUV. I wonder how they are doing with that?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    My analogy only applies to very high end watches, and while Omega makes very good ones (I own a quartz Constellation which I wear quite often) they're not in the class I'm talking about: Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Lange & Sohne, Breguet and certain Cartiers. Hip-hop stars and Silicon Valley nouveau riche don't wear those. They're purchased by people used to the smell of oiled walnut and Lafite Rothschild '45.

Lange & Sohne is an excellent example of a company resurrected to produce a product of the finest old world artistry of manufacture using the latest technology. Maybe Leitz can pull it off, too.
    Yes, but Lange has a massive budget behind them, as they are owned by Richemont, the largest luxury goods company in the world. Lange does not use the latest technology to create their watches, that title goes to Rolex and various Swatch-owned brands (Omega being one of them), for the most part Lange watches are still built on 100+ year old machinery, hand finished, including: Saxon stripes done by hand, with a wooden peg and hand rotated and adjusted and hand finished engraving of the balance cock. It’s hardly the latest technology if you have one guy hand engraving each cock, one by one (painstaking hours of work per movement).

I think Leica has gone in the right direction with the digital back they now offer for the R8 / R9’s, but they have to go further. They have to offer more features to compete with the Japanese. Including basic features such as AF! They have to offer AF focus lenses with MF capabilities like Nikon does. As well, they could theoretically also offer Nikkor ‘G’ style lenses, which would allow for more precise aperture adjustment, which is just not possible with lens-based apertures. Not having the ability to do adjustments at 1/3 stops or AF and charging $3300 for a camera and $2100+ for a normal lens is crazy, when you can get an Nikon F6 w/ lens for less than what Leica charges for just an R9 body.

Leica should come out with an R9.2, which should be made to compete with the F6 on a serious level, which would include adding AF and finer aperture adjustment, for starters. The price should somehow compete with the F6 as well. Either by lowering the price of the camera or the price of the lenses ($2100+ is just nuts for a normal 50mm f1.4); but something has got to give…maybe they could make 2 lines of lenses? A lower line and a higher line? The R9.2 should have more than 1 digital back option. Whereas a $5000 16 megapixel digital back is awesome, perhaps a 10 or 8 megapixel digital back for 2/3 of the price would help sales and would cost less to make and would make the camera more accessible to pros and even the more well-to-do prosumers?

The other suggestion post in this thread for a ‘lower’ line Leica camera is also a good idea, however they should not stray too down-market, least they become like Mercedes-Benz, who not only cheapened their products, but also strayed so far down-market (come on, a $20,000 Mercedes?) that the buyers of their higher lines have moved on to other products made by other companies: just see how many CL500 / CL600 owners have given up their cars and bought / are on the waiting list for the Bentley Continental GT / various Porsche 911 models instead.

Leica is the top name in 35mm. Not even the reformed Alpa dared challenge them on 35mm playing field when they re-incorporated back in 98’ (it was 98, right? Or 96? I forget). They have to stay at the top, even if it means creating items for the middle (or god forbid the bottom). You know why Enzo Ferrari produced road cars? So he could afford his racing team.

Jon.
    Last edited by imageWIS; 10-14-2005 at 09:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funny, one of the things I like about Leica is the lack of auto focus. I've always found it a d*** nuisance. I've no intention of getting the digi back, but I've seen quite a few people saying words to the effect of "at last a digital camera you can control properly".

David.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Any chance they could put a 150/2.8 Summicron cammed for Linhof on that a la carte menu?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why would I want to buy a Leica with all the same features as a Japanese camera? I might as well buy the Japanese camera. Leica is special because of the craftsmanship and dedication to manual controls. I think they could be a little cheaper, but to see a grand old name like Leica go 'techno' would be a sad day indeed.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Why would I want to buy a Leica with all the same features as a Japanese camera? I might as well buy the Japanese camera. Leica is special because of the craftsmanship and dedication to manual controls. I think they could be a little cheaper, but to see a grand old name like Leica go 'techno' would be a sad day indeed.
    You know newer Leica products have been handled by the Japanese. Some are made in Japan. Sigma does(at least did) that for the lenses.

And I've been in serious finiacial trouble keeping an old Leica(M3) in good shape because it needs some gentle mechanical treatment every once in a while.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    Funny, one of the things I like about Leica is the lack of auto focus. I've always found it a d*** nuisance. I've no intention of getting the digi back, but I've seen quite a few people saying words to the effect of "at last a digital camera you can control properly".

David.
    You can manually focus Nikkor lenses if you wish. Leica (for the money charged) should offer the same option. If someone wants a completely manual camera they can purchase an ALPA.

Leica is making digital cameras now, and many are re-bagged / made by the Japanese. I can understand the ‘purist’ side of the argument, but they have to be practical, or there won’t be a Leica! Then what?

Jon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin