Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,526   Online: 1028

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by imageWIS
    You can manually focus Nikkor lenses if you wish. Leica (for the money charged) should offer the same option. If someone wants a completely manual camera they can purchase an ALPA.

Leica is making digital cameras now, and many are re-bagged / made by the Japanese. I can understand the ‘purist’ side of the argument, but they have to be practical, or there won’t be a Leica! Then what?

Jon.
    I don't know about Nikon, but manual focusing is a pain with Canon AF-lenses. It seems a lens must be made to be manual focus to actually work well for manual focusing.

I am going to the LHSA meeting in San Francisco in a weeks time.
    Then we will know more. I am willing to bet that Leica is not going to get into auto focus
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Based upon calculations I have seen:

Velvia:
    36mm x 150 LP/mm = 5400 line pairs horizontally
    24mm x 150 LP/mm = 3600 line pairs vertically.

This represents a total of 5400 x 3600 = 19,440,000 pixels.

Still a lot more than all the DSLR's out there.
    Use Gigabitfilm (B&W) and you will find this to be much higher.
    Read and enjoy this newsletter from Carl Zeiss http://www.gigabitfilm.de/download/cln.pdf

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cvik
    I don't know about Nikon, but manual focusing is a pain with Canon AF-lenses. It seems a lens must be made to be manual focus to actually work well for manual focusing.
    Well, then they don’t have to make combo lenses. They can make AF lenses and keep the manual R lenses they have now (to ease compatibility, thus the R mount), so there is a choice of either / or.

But an AF is a really good idea, especially when utilizing the digital back. I personally use an all mechanical camera, btw and MF lenses, but I realize the necessity and convenience of an AF lens.

Jon.
    Last edited by imageWIS; 10-14-2005 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Any chance they could put a 150/2.8 Summicron cammed for Linhof on that a la carte menu?
    At f:2.8 it wouldn't be a Summicron, would it? Perhaps an Elmarit.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone who's used a Leica R lens knows that it would take a very high powered, high torque motor and a big brake to drive and stop all that heavy brass and glass quickly enough to focus in a reasonable time frame. In addition, I've seen (but can't recall where) an analysis of resolution with the same lens used in AF and manual focus modes. Manual focus significantly increased resolution in this study, and if your aim is resolution and contrast, why throw away the finely tuned optics you paid for with inferior focusing? Leica is known to have tested autofocus systems in the past (rumors and comments from Leica going back at least 25 years that I recall), but they have always said that the results are not up to the optics.

I'd be very surprized to find Leica building lenses for its own R and M bodies that are as light and small as those they produce for autofocus on the Panasonic and Leica P&S and digital cameras anytime soon.

I recommended a Panasonic DMC-FZ20 digital with an autofocus Leica Vario-Elmarit to a friend, and I've looked very closely at the results he's gotten with it, using an image editing program on the 5 megapixel results. In no aspect does it even approach a prime lens on an R or M camera, although it certainly blows away the majority of the digi P&S results I've seen. He's still very happy with the camera.

I think in part, Leica is happy supplying AF lenses for these digi cams because they know that the sensors can't do what film can, and so lesser performance from the lens is not a serious drawback in this application.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by imageWIS
    You can manually focus Nikkor lenses if you wish.

Jon.
    True, but AF cameras usually don't come with a focus screen that lets you do it accurately.

David.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    True, but AF cameras usually don't come with a focus screen that lets you do it accurately.

David.
    Again, Leica could offer both MF lenses and AF (w/ MF capability) lenses. I still stand by the fact that they need to rethink their position and marketing regarding their 35mm SLR range. Rangefinders are one thing and they make the best in the world, but they are hardly compatible with digital technology (properly…yes I know there are digital rangefinders). But SLR’s with optional high and low-end quality backs would assist remove some of Leica’s current financial problems.

Jon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not have, in fact I do not have, any interest at all in a digital Leica. What is the point of brilliant optics which are then limited by CCD resolution? I might as well buy a cheaper camera from Nikon/Canon/Olympus etc.

Let's face it, a digital Leica would bve a piece of crap next to a film Leica.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I would have, in fact I do not have, any interest at all in a digital Leica. What is the point of brilliant optics which are then limited by CCD resolution? I might as well buy a cheaper camera from Nikon/Canon/Olympus etc.

Let's face it, a digital Leica would bve a piece of crap next to a film Leica.
    It should be called "Panasonic."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin