Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,387   Online: 791

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd love a Leica, but their out of my price range. The new Zeiss Ikon looks like a better deal for what looks to me to be about the same quality and Zeiss optics are first class. If Zeiss can do it for half as much, why not Leica?
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    I imagine that I'll keep using my Leicas until I die.

Lee
    Me too. You're not going to buy a new Leica, you've got one. I've got one, a screwmount. If I wanted an M, I'd buy used; I'm not buying a new M7 or MP.

I've said it before on P-net: I'm the kind of amateur photog committed to using film, with a decent income, to whom Leica should be marketing something. They make nothing I want that I can afford. Cosina understands. If I was going to buy something new, it would be one of Cosina's products. Thus endeth Leica?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stark raving
    Me too. You're not going to buy a new Leica, you've got one. I've got one, a screwmount. If I wanted an M, I'd buy used; I'm not buying a new M7 or MP.

I've said it before on P-net: I'm the kind of amateur photog committed to using film, with a decent income, to whom Leica should be marketing something. They make nothing I want that I can afford. Cosina understands. If I was going to buy something new, it would be one of Cosina's products. Thus endeth Leica?
    No new purchases for me, but a used R8 is looking good about now, as my R bodies are approaching 30 years and the R8 used is relatively inexpensive. All the Leica gear I bought new was on dealer special, at 50% of list and 80% of dealer cost.

I have purchased several new M bodies recently, but all from Cosina. Leica should have not let that patent expire, but it helps me that they did. I can now afford to have several types of film loaded and ready to go, and a new Bessa T body is cheaper than an MF film back.

This whole question is a conundrum. The cost of producing at Leica's standard of quality is prohibitive, and if they produce a cheaper camera, the presumption is that their traditional customers won't buy. However, they should look at the fact that the CL sold 60K+ copies while the simultaneous M5 didn't move at all. (Still, I'd love to have an M5.) But Cosina now owns that end of the market.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by stark raving
    I've said it before on P-net: I'm the kind of amateur photog committed to using film, with a decent income, to whom Leica should be marketing something. They make nothing I want that I can afford.
    My local Leica dealer has a Leica Day in early December every year. For the last two years I haven't gone for exactly the same reason. I'd like to use the new 75mm f2 lens since it's small, sharp and my favorite focal length, but then I'd want another body and the prices are just crazy.

I'm glad I was able to get a nice M6 Millennium for less than the current price of a new MP. It's been a "user" camera for the last 5 years, and that's just the way it should be...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As much as I would love an M7 or an MP my next M mount purhase will most likely be CV Bessa R2a. I love my M3 but new Leica is just out of my reach at the moment.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    I'd love a Leica, but their out of my price range. The new Zeiss Ikon looks like a better deal for what looks to me to be about the same quality and Zeiss optics are first class. If Zeiss can do it for half as much, why not Leica?
    Magic, I agree that Zeiss Ikon is the way to go. I've seen far too many complaints about R2/3A rangefinders misaligned out of the box. I purchased a ZI new for under $1400 instead of the silly money that Leica wants for an M7. The ZI came with something that you don't find any more - a certificate signed by the "quality inspector" who inspected & tested the camera before it was packaged. I'll let others put their faith in build quality as judged by weight, "how it feels in the hand," & film advance "smoothness." Zeiss has the most rigorous testing & QC procedures in the industry. For an amateur like me, their build quality is all I need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Biogon Bill
    Magic, I agree that Zeiss Ikon is the way to go. I've seen far too many complaints about R2/3A rangefinders misaligned out of the box.
    My R3A came properly aligned, but got knocked out by an errant monopod strike to the baseplate while shooting an indoor soccer game. It was easy to realign the vertical offset by removing the hot shoe cover plate, then 4 screws for the hot shoe, then an adjustment to one screw through an access hole. That's not to say that it would always work that way for everyone. I got it back in without having to make any horizontal adjustment.

Lee

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin