Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,954   Online: 793

Shooter
    35mm

Contax T opinions

I bought a Contax T from keh.com. I'm pretty excited to try it out.

This camera doesn't seem too popular. Why?

More specifically.

What is the viewfinder magnification?

Is the lens good for flare?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    most folks ask those sort of questions before buying, you can find all the answers you need at this review, but I suspect, from this, that it will be just lovely to use.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/contax/t.htm

i suspect it is not too popular because it is expensive and, from a user viewpoint, a bit limited. Many alternatives -- Olympus XA or Rollei 35 -- can both be had for a lot less.
    Last edited by summicron1; 05-29-2014 at 12:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    My Leica dealer showed me prints from a Contax T & from a Leica mini of the same vintage. He said the leica optics were superior, but I thought the Contax had more "sparkle".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    ...from a user viewpoint, a bit limited, with no rangefinder.
    It does have a rangefinder. It's just not terribly common, has tended to be quite expensive compared to other compacts, and offers aperture priority AE only - no manual control of shutter speeds.

Shooter
    35mm
    I read about the camera and it sounded pretty good, so I bought one off of keh.com to try out. I figured that I can return it if I didn't like it. I don't expect the lens to flare and I don't mind the viewfinder magnification either. I am just curious. I received the camera last night but I haven't had a chance to fool around with it. My initial impression is that it is solid and compact. The viewfinder/rangefinder is very useable. The controls are a little fiddly but not that bad, for camera this compact.

I'm surprised that this camera isn't too popular. Most people seem to go with the T2 in the Contax compact P&S line. It's true that the XA can be had for less, but people buy T2s even though the Epic can be had for less. I don't consider the Rollei 35 to be an alternative (although the Rollei 35 is a very good camera, I have one) but I do recognize the XA as one. It doesn't really matter, because if I like it, I like it.
    Last edited by puketronic; 05-29-2014 at 03:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've got a T, and think it's a fine camera. Much more solid than an Olympus XA, which also (in my copy) seemed to have significant corner fall-off. I don't know why someone would prefer an autofocus. I soured on autofocus after missing a number of photos during a trip to the country of Georgia (to which I knew I was unlikely to return) because the autofocus just wasn't able to achieve proper focus. At least with a manual focus camera the user can always focus when and where he/she wants.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin