Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,883   Posts: 1,520,515   Online: 809

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sears Tower 35 camera?

Hey guys,

I ran upon and old ad for Sears. I saw a beautiful camera that was featured in 1958 ad called the Tower 35. Bosted about having Nikkor lens. It looks like a M2. Has anyone seen one in person or has one to comment about?

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's possible, Sears bought camera gear from a lot of Japanese companies. I have a Tower model 57a that has pretty sweet glass, made around 1960. You may be able to find some info on Butkus web site.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks like the sears "Tower 35" is indeed a Leica copy made by Nicca in japan, they were apparently founded by former employers of canons predecessor.

Some info on Nicca: http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Nicca
    Mamiya RB67 Pro-S, Mamiya-Sekor 90mm F=3.8C

www.flickr.com/photos/shootfilm08

Shooter
    35mm

nap time

Nicca cameras are real sleepers. The Leica-ish copies, especially the later ones, are great cameras. I've been looking for one that is part 3f and part M2, sort of, but they are a bit pricey. Yashica bought them out and produced a version for a while, the Yashica YF.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one that I bought a few months ago, they are little gems.
    A little quirky, loads from the bottom like a Leica, separate range finder and view finder windows, but fun to use.
    The Nikkor lens is the best part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tower.JPG  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey BDail.. Awesome looking camera. Have you taken any pictures with it. Please post if you have. I would love to see what it can do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Nicca branded version of this camera. It is a sweet little camera. Haven't had much luck finding a 50mm ƒ2.0 Nikkor that I can afford, but I got lucky and picked up a nice postwar 5cm ƒ3.5 Elmar that now lives on it most of the time.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The earlier Niccas had the same lens as on Nikon rangefinders whereas the Yashica 'Niccas' had Yashica brands.

Most kits have been separated for dcameras on adapters or use on film Leicas.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sears bought cameras from various manufactures and had them branded as "Tower". I have several Oly's that have the "Tower" logo on the top cover, everywhere else is marked Olympus. I assume they just made an insert for the top cover die.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin