Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,242   Online: 910

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

The future for German Cameras

Can someone please tell me why Zeiss, Contax, Rollei, Leica, Voitander, Linhoff, Schneider etc dont all band together and create a new 30mm x 30mm specification for lens mount and film/digital backs (ala the 4/3 format by Olympus, except a larger sensor size).

Im sure anyone who has held one of these crafted cameras would love a "no stress", upgraditis free solution in the current disposable digital camera market place.

Together they would be a force no?

Daniel.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs
    Can someone please tell me why Zeiss, Contax, Rollei, Leica, Voitander, Linhoff, Schneider etc dont all band together and create a new 30mm x 30mm specification for lens mount and film/digital backs (ala the 4/3 format by Olympus, except a larger sensor size).

Im sure anyone who has held one of these crafted cameras would love a "no stress", upgraditis free solution in the current disposable digital camera market place.

Together they would be a force no?

Daniel.
    Trouble is the current digicrap makers are making "disposable digital cameras" very much by design. They've learned from the computer makers. We consumers are stupid enough to buy a new computer every 2 years just because there's something faster out there. The old one works but "its just not fast enough!". That keeps those computer peddlers busy. The digicam is no different. Make 'em cheap, make 'em disposable.. Joe consumer will be back for more in 24 months.

I still use my 1947 Contax IIa on a daily basis with its superb Stuttgart Carl Zeiss lens. That's why Contax is fading fast. I don't need to buy another camera from them... although I'd like to

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    "I still use my 1947 Contax IIa on a daily basis with its superb Stuttgart Carl Zeiss lens. That's why Contax is fading fast. I don't need to buy another camera from them... although I'd like to"

That's one of Leica's (many) problems... it is competing against its own used market. Leica shooters still use forty and fifty year old M2 and M3 cameras. If the camera breaks down a routine CLA is usually enough to put it back in service for many more years. Regardless whether corporate Leica ceases to exist (although I doubt that will happen) there are enough Leica bodies and lenses out there to last well beyond my lifetime.
    [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=5][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Dennis[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Voigtlander Vito CLR works as well today as it did when new. However, modern Voigtlanders should not be confused with the old German Voigtlanders. The modern cameras are made by a totally different and seperate Japanese company who bought the name but not the company.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm

Never happen

The day that Nikon stops making their German cameras will be a cold day in hell.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't believe that I own a camera that is less then twenty years old. Everything I own is in good working order and takes great pictures. I do own a couple of really old dead folders that are display shelf items.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs
    Please, feel free to do so! Seriously.

Once you try you will know the answer.

BTW, Leica, Zeiss, Contax, Rollei, Voigtlander all use lenses and other components (like, entire bodies) manufactured in countries other than Germany. Mostly from Japan, just like Hasselblad.

I'm sorry to say that whenever I see threads like this get started they tread fearfully close to my own limits of tolerance w.r.t. Asia bashing. Why is it so hard to comprehend that perhaps many Asian products are simply great and can manage to do their jobs in a way that's highly competetive with products from the world over? As in, maybe better than German cameras for issues relating to actually making pictures?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Why is it so hard to comprehend that perhaps many Asian products are simply great and can manage to do their jobs in a way that's highly competetive with products from the world over? As in, maybe better than German cameras for issues relating to actually making pictures?
    Very true! As a matter of interest, I think Japanese dominance has less to do with the intrinsic superiority of their products and more to do with the fact that producers were/are market-led rather than engineering-led and had/have much better production engineering skills (i.e. skills at designing products which can be made easily and profitably).

Time and again, German camera makers would produce fantastic products at vast cost (Leica M3, Rolleiflex) and then find these were over-priced. In response. they would then make a further vast investment to design what were meant to be cheaper versions (Leica M2, Rolleicord) but were still complex to build and therefore unprofitable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Please, dont acuse me of asian bashing.. I didnt make any comment on whether the Japanese cameras were good. They obviously are or all the above mentioned list of german "has beens" wouldnt be in the position they are.

Thats myh point, they historically have ties.. similar marketing thrusts "german engineering", and all of them are behind.

Let me put if this way, if it was announced tommorow that all of the above have signed of on a new format, designed ground up for the next 100 years, where all backs and lenses would be compatible.. would you be excited?

Daniel.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, Cosina has recently made cameras with Leica mounts, Nikon shutters and Voigtländer name. I have one, and it's a great little camera.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin