Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,466   Online: 847

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Zorki C and Leica lenses

Zorki C is on the road to me. I dont know whether it depends the serial number because there are 6 or so versions but Can I use a Hektor, Summar or Elmar with it. This is discussed for FED 1G before but I remember it was not very clear.

Thanks,

Umut
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Focus is not exact from what I read. When people were using the Russian screw mount lenses on Leicas they had to shim the lenses slightly to get focus mostly correct. I imagine it would work the other way around too. Might as well try it and find out what happens. Or buy a nice Leica body to go with your Elmar and not worry about it!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Focus is not exact from what I read. When people were using the Russian screw mount lenses on Leicas they had to shim the lenses slightly to get focus mostly correct. I imagine it would work the other way around too. Might as well try it and find out what happens. Or buy a nice Leica body to go with your Elmar and not worry about it!
    Hello , wouldnt depth of focus compensate it ? Or optimize yourself with focus dial to focus ? I can do it. The problem was as some members reports for different threading . Can you confirm that the lens sits without problem or is this the real problem ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the problem is with how the focusing follower (lever) works with the cam on the lens. On the Zorki the coupling is through a lever but on cameras such as the Bessa the coupling is by a roller which moves in and out parallel to the lens axis. The two coupling methods require as slightly different slope for the lens cam.

It's easy to test using yard stick or similar measuring tool. Prop the stick up so it is at a 45o angle to the ground. Then focus on the 18 inch mark and check the focus on the negative produced. If the range-finder is working properly this line will be in focus. Otherwise another line will be in focus.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-13-2014 at 08:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I think the problem is with how the focusing follower (lever) works with the cam on the lens. On the Zorki the coupling is through a lever but on cameras such as the Bessa the coupling is by a roller which moves in and out parallel to the lens axis. The two coupling methods require as slightly different slope for the lens cam.

It's easy to test using yard stick or similar measuring tool. Prop the stick up so it is at a 45o angle to the ground. Then focus on the 18 inch mark and check the focus on the negative produced. If the range-finder is working properly this line will be in focus. Otherwise another line will be in focus.
    Gerald ,

I can do that test and find a way to rotate the focusing dial more or less. But I think this would require some attention , because close range focusing lenght of rotation would be different than the far.

I will have to find a way to increase the use of speed of film. I bought tanol and it is optimized for 33 ASA ! I will have 150 ml rodinal also but it blows the highlights and I want more peaceful , relaxed and sharp , lower contrast look I think I must give D76 a chance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some people have reported focus inaccuracy between Russian cameras and Leicas lenses, or vice versa. In my experience, I've never had any issues w/ that when swapping lenses back and forth. Putting Leica lenses on Russian cameras, or the other way around, they've always worked fine. Maybe it's related to specific lenses, but I've never experienced it. I don't doubt some people have had issues, but I haven't.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Some people have reported focus inaccuracy between Russian cameras and Leicas lenses, or vice versa. In my experience, I've never had any issues w/ that when swapping lenses back and forth. Putting Leica lenses on Russian cameras, or the other way around, they've always worked fine. Maybe it's related to specific lenses, but I've never experienced it. I don't doubt some people have had issues, but I haven't.
    Hello momus , thank you for your reply , could you please report which soviet cameras you have used with Leica lenses , pre 1954 like FED 1 G or later ones and what were your Leica lenses ?

May be people got harder times with longer focal lenghts like Hektor or later generation lenses. By the way I dont even know when Leica stopped to make screw lenses ?

Today I looked in to Leica prices and I need a miracle.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm
    The crux of the matter is what is assumed (when designing the camera) as the "normal" focal length, meaning that lens for which the rangefinder cam displacement will be equal to the longitudinal movement of the lens. It is all very well explained there:
    http://www.dantestella.com/technical/compat.html

But if leica lenses are too expensive for you (for me too) don't waste your time; Russian lenses are (usually) quite good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Bernard ,

I got it. I have a friend in Germany , an avid Leica user and he finds treasures from street sellers. Yes , I have an excellent performer FED 50mm but it is totally different from leica in low light , it dispers in to yellow but leica goes in to reddish orange. I want to experiment again with these lenses after sold 6 of them 15 years ago and left photography for 10 years due to it.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Umut

If you are only using a /3.5 you should be ok.
    If you look at Zorkicats site you can make a lens hood, etc., adjust rangefinder, etc., ...

http://www.zorkikat.com/

Noel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin