Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,594   Online: 1098

Shooter
    35mm

Help with my Olympus OM-1n

Hello to all the great people on this site and forum, I have passed a lot of time exploring all the suggestions and writings here and have decided that I wouldn't mind asking for some help from the great supporters and aficionados on this website.

I have recently rekindled my love affair with photography from my younger years and have decided to learn the craft the traditional way by means of a 35mm film camera. So after doing some research on what would work for me and ideally what I found appealing, I settled on getting an Olympus OM camera. So I ended up winning an Olympus OM-1n on Ebay for $50 with a 35-75mm zoom lens and let me tell you this camera looks so new and clean it was a shock when I opened the shipping package.

My question is can anybody recommend someone (technician) in Canada / Toronto area that could give this baby a nice CLA or overhaul make sure all is well with it? It definitely needs to have the light seals replaced and check the foam on the prism to have that removed before it becomes an issue and see if the meter works. So would anyone be able to recommend someone that I can trust to work on this camera? Please and thanks any help would be appreciated

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't help with the meter or a repairman but Jon Goodman sent me a lightseal kit (including the foam on the bottom of the prism) for a great price with great instructions for my OM-1n. It worked great (until some sea spray salt jammed the shutter a couple weeks later but you can't plan for sea spray salt)!

If that interests you a quick search on this forum or a pm to me will get you his contact info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems like a new battery would tell you if the light meter works and I would probably try to determine that before getting too for into the project. Yes, you can replace light seals yourself, however if you are operating with onee camera body, I'd let John at Camtech work his magic knowing the body would probably be good for another 100,000 miles. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, the seals are easy & Jon's foam kits are great but I think the OP is referring to the foam on top of the prism deteriorating the coating. In that case he may as well have it all done at the same time.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a fellow who is highly recommended.

http://www.zuiko.com/

Just over the border, but shipping is not a big deal.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by adefreitas View Post
    My question is can anybody recommend someone (technician) in Canada / Toronto area that could give this baby a nice CLA or overhaul make sure all is well with it?
    Yes, try Camtech Photo (http://camtechphoto.com/) in Hamilton. He revived my OM1 which had similar problems for me. He also CLA'd 3 Pen lenses as well as resurrected a Pen F for me. He fixes all cameras but he has a fair bit of experience with Olympus cameras of that vintage. Fast turn around time, reasonable rates, honest and no nonsense. Worth the drive to Hamilton, IMHO.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin