Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,134   Online: 1094

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leica regret?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing in the world prevents you from forming your own opinion about whether you like something and want to acquire or keep it, vs not acquiring or selling it. We have all had regrets over something, if not over a Leica. Just use what works for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That lens, while great optically, is heavy and long (for a 50).

Try the f2.5 50mm from CV, a collapsing 50mm lens, or any 28, 35, or 40mm lens.
    The Leica then becomes portable.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I preferred Leica rangefinders for 50 years, despite having SLR, TLR, and LF equipment most of that time. Any camera system demands experience for comfortable results. Don't give up too soon on any new system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd give it a few months before you decide you don't like it. Obviously you're not used to it. But if you truly hate it then go back to the TLR but you really have not given much of a chance.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm

new Rollei

I just bought a "new" 60-year-old Rolleiflex after not having one for 40 years. (I had a Yashicamat in between.) It is a fabulous camera but I have several rangefinders which are better for some kinds of work. I got rid of my Leica M2r in the 1970s, and regret it. I suggest you keep the Leica as it is a fabulous camera. You might decide one day you now have the perfect photo situation for a rangefinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have mostly moved away from 35mm to medium format, however my camera of choice is a Hasselblad. Use a Hasselblad and you will never go back.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A carpenter, even a hobbyist woodworker, would have more than one type of saw or hammer. Some cameras are better for some tasks than others, and the nature of the tasks can differ.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 6 or 7 hammers. They all bend nails about the same, except some will bend them faster.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are many reasons that SLRs overtook rangefinders in popularity, and they are just as valid today as they were in the '60s.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I'm happy working with a Leica or TLRs, you just need to get used to the M2 then it becomes intuitive.

Ian
    Sound advice. In my case it was some 25 years of working with Nikons and Hasselblads before I picked up my first rangefinder (an M4P that I no longer own). For the first year or so, I fought constantly with the camera; using it just wasn't intuitive in the way my Nikons are. But after a year or so of (infrequent) use, the thing gradually became more comfortable to use. That said, to this day, I remain anything but proficient with changing film (I often find my self cussing like a sailor when loading fresh film); possibly one roll in five is loaded on the first attempt. Still, the Leicas are a pleasure to shoot with; I wouldn't part with them for anything.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin