Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,162   Online: 996

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leica regret?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    There are many reasons that SLRs overtook rangefinders in popularity, and they are just as valid today as they were in the '60s.
    True the herd stampeded.

I use a M2, or Canon P or Nikon F2 interchangeably.

The little CV 5cm /2.5 is very compact in gbag.

Hate the bottom loading of the M2. Hate the Canons lever wind - it is slower.

Use the P about 80% of time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The trick is to make the Leica control you. You don't control it.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been a TLR shooter for 45+ years, but I also use a Leica M6 from time to time. The reason is sometimes a 35 makes more sense, such as taking it along on a bike trip. A couple of years ago I bought a 501C just because I always wanted a Hasselblad. To be honest, it does nothing that my C330 cannot do, and my C330 can make wonderful enlargements the Leica can't. So, guess which camera sees the most use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I inherited at my father's C330. I found it "fiddlily", in that the 250mm had to be hand cocked while the other lenses were cocked with the film advancement. Also I found that I had to tip the camera from side to side for some of the settings. It in for a Hasselblad 503 CX and and Hasselblad 903 SWC. I never looked back.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Always thought I wanted a Leica M and as a retirement present to myself I finally sprang for a M4-2 and a couple of CV lenses. It was the CV lenses that even made it feaseable to even consider a Leica. However, like many other comments to this thread I'm finding the Leica just a fancy version of my Olympus RC! Sure, long base RF and interchangeable lenses but at what price? My Leica with 21 f4 and 35 f2.5 CV lenses and a 90 f4 Elmar has set me back about $1750 (that includes $200 to Youxin Ye to set right a cosmetically nice camera that had been serviced by a tractor mechanic). My Oly RC was $35, is in near mint condition, and only needed foam replacement.

And........

I'm finding out I really am a SLR type guy. I like the TTL viewing and focusing, close focus ability and, to some extent seeing DOF when I preview it on my plain matte screen. (A 1-10 matte w/grid screen on my OM-1)

I got to admit. The CV lenses are really good and the M4-2 feels great in the hand but, in the applications I use it in I usually scale focus and let DOF cover my behind. That is kind of a waste of that precision RF mechanism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd love to have a Leica, but it's out of my price range. I went with the Soviet rangefinders instead, of which I have 7. I have two different FED 2 cameras and one each of the 3, 4, 5, 5B, and Zorki 4. The Industar lenses are not bad either. I know they are cameras that were inspired by the Leica, but they do fine for me. And if one breaks, gets lost or is stolen I'm not out a lot of money.

But if a Leica ever shows up in my price range (yah, right....) I'd snap it up fast.

Just my two cents worth. YMMV.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    Always thought I wanted a Leica M and as a retirement present to myself I finally sprang for a M4-2 and a couple of CV lenses. It was the CV lenses that even made it feaseable to even consider a Leica. However, like many other comments to this thread I'm finding the Leica just a fancy version of my Olympus RC! Sure, long base RF and interchangeable lenses but at what price? My Leica with 21 f4 and 35 f2.5 CV lenses and a 90 f4 Elmar has set me back about $1750 (that includes $200 to Youxin Ye to set right a cosmetically nice camera that had been serviced by a tractor mechanic). My Oly RC was $35, is in near mint condition, and only needed foam replacement.

And........

I'm finding out I really am a SLR type guy. I like the TTL viewing and focusing, close focus ability and, to some extent seeing DOF when I preview it on my plain matte screen. (A 1-10 matte w/grid screen on my OM-1)

I got to admit. The CV lenses are really good and the M4-2 feels great in the hand but, in the applications I use it in I usually scale focus and let DOF cover my behind. That is kind of a waste of that precision RF mechanism.
    That's the most succinct appraisal of Leica rangefinders I've read.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just bought a beautiful Nikon F2S a couple of days ago. And it's a beauty that works perfectly. I'm kinda happy--the finest 35mm camera ever made and it cost me only $150.00. Very well engineered. Somebody had the bright idea of loading the film from a door in the back, and putting the PC socket in a place that doesn't poke you in the eye with a flashcord plug. Leicas are dumb. Germans made a lot of really top-notch stuff, but a Leica isn't one of them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Leica does make top-notch cameras. I'm on my third Leica in 61 years. The first two didn't survive accidents. In that time I also used and retired a Canon P and 7S, several Nikon F and Nikkormats, and a few other 35mm cameras. Leica's legendary quality is obvious when they are used side-by-side with other cameras. The design of any camera is necessarily a compromise. The compromises that made Leica great for some purposes turned off some other photographers. It was also that way with Nikon. The compromises that made the original Nikon F complete system so great also made it awkward to use in other ways.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Leica does make top-notch cameras. I'm on my third Leica in 61 years. The first two didn't survive accidents. In that time I also used and retired a Canon P and 7S, several Nikon F and Nikkormats, and a few other 35mm cameras. Leica's legendary quality is obvious when they are used side-by-side with other cameras. The design of any camera is necessarily a compromise. The compromises that made Leica great for some purposes turned off some other photographers. It was also that way with Nikon. The compromises that made the original Nikon F complete system so great also made it awkward to use in other ways.
    I've never desired a Leica, there must be something wrong with me.
    Ben

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin