Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,170   Online: 752

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leica regret?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've never desired a Leica, there must be something wrong with me.
    If we all desired the same things life would be very boring.

I've used SLRs & TLRs since the late 1960s commercially and for personal use alongside LF, while I've owned a Leica IIIa since my student days it had little use. However I bought a budget M3 in 1986/7 and have only used my 35mm SLRs when they were really the only option (shooting rock concerts etc where I needed to use fast zoom lenses).

Leica and other rangefinder camera aren't everyone's cup of tea, but to some of us they are great cameras to use and they give us the results we require and suit our ways of working. I only bought M3 after shooting predominantly 5x4 and I found that my success rate of good/excellent images per film was higher than with an SLR, I can shoot and focus more accurately at low light levels, slower speeds are easier hand held, I can see what's outside the image area in the viewfinder great for fast composition.

I was skeptical until I began using mine, then became a happy convert.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica is without a doubt the most versatile camera system ever made. Many manufactures followed in the footprints with their camera systems. Example, you can convert a RF camera into an SLR. Nikon is my first choice in camera systems however; I don’t recall any accessories to convert my F into a RF.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Leica is without a doubt the most versatile camera system ever made. Many manufactures followed in the footprints with their camera systems. Example, you can convert a RF camera into an SLR. Nikon is my first choice in camera systems however; I don’t recall any accessories to convert my F into a RF.
    Versatile is perhaps the wrong word. I would suggest a Hasselblad is more versatile than a Leica, but a Leica is probably the most tactile precision instrument for taking photographs.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    However I bought a budget M3 in 1986/7 and have only used my 35mm SLRs when they were really the only option (shooting rock concerts etc where I needed to use fast zoom lenses).

Ian
    I prefer to be camera-less when attending concerts but have often thought the shutter sound on my Nikon FM2N would be far too loud, whereas my Mamiya 7ii has a very quiet shutter.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not everyone likes Leicas or Brussels sprouts. No biggie. It does not affect those who do, one little bit.

Shoot what you like. Don't worry about others.
    Last edited by frank; 06-23-2014 at 07:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I picked up a Leica M2 recently with a 50mm Summicron DR. I took it out and shot a few rolls around PA and NYC. Great handling camera, small, typical German overenginering and sharp lens. The only problem is that it just doesn't feel right in my hands like my Rolleiflex does. I can't explain why, but I bought the Leica as an eveyday camera to carry to and from work and take in my bag when I leave the house. But I just miss the Rollei so much that I'm thinking of selling it already and getting a 2nd one.

Anybody else feel the same after picking up a rangefinder after years of using a TLR?

Before I got out of the news photography business, I'd carry a bag full of Nikon gear to an assignment. Now I'm (thankfully) no longer part of the newspaper world, more often than not I wander around with a Rolleiflex in a small canvas shoulder bag that doesn't shout "photographer".

I had been contemplating a small Leica outfit, just to keep with me for the same reason I take my Rollei out, since often the best pictures occur when you're not deliberately setting out to find them, but you come across them on the offchance. I figure that an SLR outfit is not the best kit to cart around for this "on the offchance" scenario.

The Rollei twin lens is generally excellent, but sometimes you just need that slightly longer or wider lens, I imagine a Leica with a couple of lenses would be less weight and more subtle than my current Nikons.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I used to have TLR in the past and have another one for now. They aren't everyday cameras at all for me.
    My M4-2 is so nice and capable, but I don't want to toss it around with me as everyday camera.
    I keep trying to find something adequate to M4-2, including famous SLR brands, but regretting after buying and trying, because it isn't Leica.
    Currently trying to settle with Rollei, but 35
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm
    In the late 1980's I was lucky enough to have some cash to buy a new outfit, and looked very seriously at Leicas, including the opportunity to try some (S/H) range-finder cameras.
    But I just couldn't get comfortable in using them for some reason, and as I wanted to be able to gradually build-up a comprehensive outfit, the prices of accessories and lenses seemed astronomical. I eventually bought a Pentax outfit (MX and LX) and never regretted it, but maybe if I win the Lottery one day.......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a pre WW11 Zeiss Contax with the 5 cm Zeiss Sonnar, I never wanted a Leica.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I picked up a Leica M2 recently with a 50mm Summicron DR. I took it out and shot a few rolls around PA and NYC. Great handling camera, small, typical German overenginering and sharp lens. The only problem is that it just doesn't feel right in my hands like my Rolleiflex does. I can't explain why, but I bought the Leica as an eveyday camera to carry to and from work and take in my bag when I leave the house. But I just miss the Rollei so much that I'm thinking of selling it already and getting a 2nd one.

Anybody else feel the same after picking up a rangefinder after years of using a TLR?
    Nope, unless I just did landscapes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin