Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,748   Posts: 1,670,511   Online: 978

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Leica regret?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    However I bought a budget M3 in 1986/7 and have only used my 35mm SLRs when they were really the only option (shooting rock concerts etc where I needed to use fast zoom lenses).

Ian
    I prefer to be camera-less when attending concerts but have often thought the shutter sound on my Nikon FM2N would be far too loud, whereas my Mamiya 7ii has a very quiet shutter.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not everyone likes Leicas or Brussels sprouts. No biggie. It does not affect those who do, one little bit.

Shoot what you like. Don't worry about others.
    Last edited by frank; 06-23-2014 at 07:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Openly biased and unabashedly
    pro film and wet darkroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I picked up a Leica M2 recently with a 50mm Summicron DR. I took it out and shot a few rolls around PA and NYC. Great handling camera, small, typical German overenginering and sharp lens. The only problem is that it just doesn't feel right in my hands like my Rolleiflex does. I can't explain why, but I bought the Leica as an eveyday camera to carry to and from work and take in my bag when I leave the house. But I just miss the Rollei so much that I'm thinking of selling it already and getting a 2nd one.

Anybody else feel the same after picking up a rangefinder after years of using a TLR?

Before I got out of the news photography business, I'd carry a bag full of Nikon gear to an assignment. Now I'm (thankfully) no longer part of the newspaper world, more often than not I wander around with a Rolleiflex in a small canvas shoulder bag that doesn't shout "photographer".

I had been contemplating a small Leica outfit, just to keep with me for the same reason I take my Rollei out, since often the best pictures occur when you're not deliberately setting out to find them, but you come across them on the offchance. I figure that an SLR outfit is not the best kit to cart around for this "on the offchance" scenario.

The Rollei twin lens is generally excellent, but sometimes you just need that slightly longer or wider lens, I imagine a Leica with a couple of lenses would be less weight and more subtle than my current Nikons.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I used to have TLR in the past and have another one for now. They aren't everyday cameras at all for me.
    My M4-2 is so nice and capable, but I don't want to toss it around with me as everyday camera.
    I keep trying to find something adequate to M4-2, including famous SLR brands, but regretting after buying and trying, because it isn't Leica.
    Currently trying to settle with Rollei, but 35
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm
    In the late 1980's I was lucky enough to have some cash to buy a new outfit, and looked very seriously at Leicas, including the opportunity to try some (S/H) range-finder cameras.
    But I just couldn't get comfortable in using them for some reason, and as I wanted to be able to gradually build-up a comprehensive outfit, the prices of accessories and lenses seemed astronomical. I eventually bought a Pentax outfit (MX and LX) and never regretted it, but maybe if I win the Lottery one day.......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a pre WW11 Zeiss Contax with the 5 cm Zeiss Sonnar, I never wanted a Leica.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I picked up a Leica M2 recently with a 50mm Summicron DR. I took it out and shot a few rolls around PA and NYC. Great handling camera, small, typical German overenginering and sharp lens. The only problem is that it just doesn't feel right in my hands like my Rolleiflex does. I can't explain why, but I bought the Leica as an eveyday camera to carry to and from work and take in my bag when I leave the house. But I just miss the Rollei so much that I'm thinking of selling it already and getting a 2nd one.

Anybody else feel the same after picking up a rangefinder after years of using a TLR?
    Nope, unless I just did landscapes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first Leica came today. A III and Summitar. It's a beauty. Highly doubt I will ever have regrets, but it only cost $400. If I spent $10,000 on an M6 and Summicron, then yes, I could theoretically envision having regrets while living under a bridge.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Rolleiflex is magic. Pure and simple.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leica Doesn't Feel Like A Rolleiflex!

As you become deeper and deeper into photography, it has been my experience that it takes time for cameras of different formats to become comfortable in your hands and going from a Rollei where the camera "sits" in your hand to a camera designed to be used at eyelevel would be especially so. I have a friend who has a difficult time holding my Hasselblad becauses he uses Rollei TLRs. In 35mm, I am more comfortable with a rangefinder Leica than with anyone's 35mm SLR. Don't rush to get rid of any type of camera until you practice with it for a while. All have advantages and disadvantages including Rolleis, Leicas, i.e. all cameras and formats.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin