Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,826   Online: 890

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Leica regret?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had 2 new M4s, 2 used M3s,and a screwmount for a microscope. Being left-eyed, the viewfinders on the Ms were hard to use. I now have Contax G1 & G2, whose viewfinders are more to the center.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first Leica came today. A III and Summitar. It's a beauty. Highly doubt I will ever have regrets, but it only cost $400. If I spent $10,000 on an M6 and Summicron, then yes, I could theoretically envision having regrets while living under a bridge.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Rolleiflex is magic. Pure and simple.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leica Doesn't Feel Like A Rolleiflex!

As you become deeper and deeper into photography, it has been my experience that it takes time for cameras of different formats to become comfortable in your hands and going from a Rollei where the camera "sits" in your hand to a camera designed to be used at eyelevel would be especially so. I have a friend who has a difficult time holding my Hasselblad becauses he uses Rollei TLRs. In 35mm, I am more comfortable with a rangefinder Leica than with anyone's 35mm SLR. Don't rush to get rid of any type of camera until you practice with it for a while. All have advantages and disadvantages including Rolleis, Leicas, i.e. all cameras and formats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I picked up a Leica M2 recently with a 50mm Summicron DR. I took it out and shot a few rolls around PA and NYC. Great handling camera, small, typical German overenginering and sharp lens. The only problem is that it just doesn't feel right in my hands like my Rolleiflex does. I can't explain why, but I bought the Leica as an eveyday camera to carry to and from work and take in my bag when I leave the house. But I just miss the Rollei so much that I'm thinking of selling it already and getting a 2nd one.

Anybody else feel the same after picking up a rangefinder after years of using a TLR?
    sometimes it just takes a while to get used to things. and sometimes you just never get used to them.
    nothing to regret, its just the way thing are ...

Shooter
    35mm
    If you really mean the feel of the camera in your hands I can totally understand you considering the rather brick-like shape of the leica models. However using a leather case with a built-in grip totally improves the handling imo. If you google leica-time you will find a website of pricy but also handmade leather cases.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin