Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,322   Posts: 1,681,957   Online: 695

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Leica regret?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I picked up a Leica M2 recently with a 50mm Summicron DR. I took it out and shot a few rolls around PA and NYC. Great handling camera, small, typical German overenginering and sharp lens. The only problem is that it just doesn't feel right in my hands like my Rolleiflex does. I can't explain why, but I bought the Leica as an eveyday camera to carry to and from work and take in my bag when I leave the house. But I just miss the Rollei so much that I'm thinking of selling it already and getting a 2nd one.

Anybody else feel the same after picking up a rangefinder after years of using a TLR?
    sometimes it just takes a while to get used to things. and sometimes you just never get used to them.
    nothing to regret, its just the way thing are ...

Shooter
    35mm
    If you really mean the feel of the camera in your hands I can totally understand you considering the rather brick-like shape of the leica models. However using a leather case with a built-in grip totally improves the handling imo. If you google leica-time you will find a website of pricy but also handmade leather cases.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the "new" autofocus cameras, whether SLR or compacts, are better at the job of street photography than the Leica. The Leica used to be the best camera for the job way back when. Today, HCB would probably use an autofocus, autoexposure camera, or even an iPhone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KrankyKraut View Post
    Today, HCB would probably use an autofocus, autoexposure camera, or even an iPhone.
    Today HBC would use paper and a pencil . He did photograph in the era of autofocus cameras as well - but he continued to use Leica.
    Did you tried both and then come to conclusion that autofocus cameras are better at street photography? I did tried both, and I think M3 does it better than my nikon F801s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Took me a year to get used to mine. Now it's second nature and extremely versatile.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the "new" autofocus cameras, whether SLR or compacts, are better at the job of street photography than the Leica. The Leica used to be the best camera for the job way back when. Today, HCB would probably use an autofocus, autoexposure camera, or even an iPhone.
    I disagree. With all those things available I still use my M2 or MP way more often for serious street shooting. "Pre" focusing and then f/stop and DOF range are adjusted as needed and since the Leica is practically an extension of my hand I'm adjusting f/stop and/or the focus ring with barely even looking down as I walk around and as scenes or potential photographic subjects unfold before me. I rarely focus using the RF spot subject to subject. I'm also opening or closing the aperture a couple of notches or three as I go from lit areas to shadier areas. (B&W film and it's wide latitude helps for this method of course). So when I shoot it's up to my eye to quickly frame and fire in an instant. No AF is faster than that and certainly not fiddling with my iPhone!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I disagree. I spent most of this past summer using a Kiev 4a with either a 35 or 50. I've also used a Contax II, a Leica IIIG, a Canon IIb, a Leica M3, a Nikon F and a Nikkormat.
    All of these cameras, I set the exposure while raising it to my face and by the time I've framed the picture the camera is focussed. I can't do this with any of my AF cameras. Especially when it's snowing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no problem working with my rangefinders, my SLRs or my TLRs.

But, the TLR viewfinder truly is magic. It takes me a little time to get comfortable when I swap back after working with my Rollei for only a week on a project. I can only imagine what it would take to make the transition after using a Rolleiflex for as long as you have.

My advice is to keep it around a bit and work with it from time to time. Your resale value probably won't change so I don't think you will lose anything by doing it. After some time you may find yourself warming up to it. If not, sell it and don't worry because it really isn't the end of the world. I suspect that an experienced TLR photographer can probably shoot most of the same things an experienced rangefinder shooter can, and have a bigger negative to work with.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'm not so sure about that, as autofocus is fast but lacks human decision as to what you focus on and auto exposure doesn't allow depth of field/shutter speed decisions.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you ever watched a Rollei user pick up a Hasselblad and try to use it and the other way around? It is the same problem. We all get used to the camera we prefer and use and other cameras feel wierd. Just a normal reaction, I guess.....Regards

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin