Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,277   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leica regret?

Shooter
    Large Format

Leica regret?

I picked up a Leica M2 recently with a 50mm Summicron DR. I took it out and shot a few rolls around PA and NYC. Great handling camera, small, typical German overenginering and sharp lens. The only problem is that it just doesn't feel right in my hands like my Rolleiflex does. I can't explain why, but I bought the Leica as an eveyday camera to carry to and from work and take in my bag when I leave the house. But I just miss the Rollei so much that I'm thinking of selling it already and getting a 2nd one.

Anybody else feel the same after picking up a rangefinder after years of using a TLR?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Same here. I´ve been using 6x6 exclusively since 2005 and sold my entire 35mm equipment back then (which was not more than one Canon rebel, three lenses and some filters anyway). Two years ago I picked up a Leica at Photokina but I did not get along with the rangefinder. I think you can get accustomed to it, but after years of looking on a waist level finder it was just not for me...

Shooter
    35mm
    i wouldn't call it regret, was a cute little affair while it lasted... talk of the town, too... five years and three different bodies... hmmm, is there such thing as a "different leica body?" anyway, was pulling a roll through the leica for every fifty rolls through the F2... moved on, no regrets

ps. as my friend once described the pipe, "it's not as much smoking as @#$%ing about smoking"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do like my Rolleiflex. I'm still used to my 35mm. This may sound strange, I like my RB67.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm happy working with a Leica or TLRs, you just need to get used to the M2 then it becomes intuitive.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never used one, except in a shop and I do want one. But you took it out once and don't like it? How about taking it more than once?
    For me, I like 35mm cameras, since they can be used at f1.4 or even f1.2. In dark places. Something that I can't use my MF gear for without a tripod. But then your lens is f2...
    They are for different type of photos...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    picking up a rangefinder after years of using a TLR?
    picking up a rangefinder after years of using a SLR - this is more the case.

It just takes time to get used to it.

I had other way around: I had a rolleiflex, it was too weird to me: square format, left is right - right is left... I sold it for the same money I paid. And after couple of years - I saw that it was a mistake - so I got a rolleiflex again . Mistake was not too expensive for me - automat X was 150€ and it is in nice working condition.

If you have nice working Leica - sell it only if you really really need the money. Later you will regret - and maybe next one you buy will have issues (with 50+ year old cameras you never know), and then you will regret even more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only camera I regret buying is a Leica M9. I have an M7 which I don't use often, but it's perfect for certain things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've played with a rangefinder a few times, and I'm a sucker for well built machines, but I still don't have a strong itch to get one. The only "advantage" I see in the field over say an FM2, is that they are quiet and honestly I'm ok with noisy.

For 35mm I even gave up on the FM2 though. I want the automation my F100 & F5 provide. Small manual cameras just don't fit how I want to shoot with them.

In medium format it's a different story. I have had a fair itch to get a TLR but the RB has held that at bay for now, mostly because I tend to like longer focal lengths for most shots and still fully appreciate my need to switch.

The only place I've found myself being pretty comfy with one focal length so far has been in 4x5.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not unusual to dislike range finders, regardless of the make.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin